Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angry and starting to doubt myself

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 77 Replies
So I finally gave in and went to see a doctor for prenatal care. I saw a midwife who told me to stop breastfeeding and then checked my cervix. But I don't have to stop right now, I should slowly stop within the next few weeks because its dangerous and it has to stop or I'll go into labor. Then she asked me if I still felt contractions when I nurse... No, that stopped within a day of my son being born 17 freaking months ago... And she will not be checking my cervix again, I let her today because it was my first appointment and I didn't want to piss her off.
She then scheduled me appointments with a social worker and a nutritionist (nutritionalist?) I'm twenty weeks along with my third child. I know how to eat.
Whatever. I just went because DH insisted on an ultrasound to check how far along I am, to see that all the parts are there and to find out the gender, and he insisted on bloodwork.
I'm just mad that a freaking midwife told me to stop breastfeeding. I am right, right? I have no other reasons to suspect I'll go into labor early, no other problems, I'm in good health. I have no need to stop nursing now, right?
And then she told me I was most likely going to need an amniocentesis because my husband has an anemia like genetic disorder, beta- thalassemia. That's not happening, it would be nice to know before hand if the baby is a carrier or suffers from it, but it's not necessary. There is nothing they can do for the baby while I'm pregnant, so there's no need to know right now. It's not dangerous.

I'm just so glad it's almost over. She thinks I'm coming back for the glucose test. Probably not going to happen, but DH might convince me too. I got my referral and my bloodwork done, so it was worth it in the end. I really thought seeing a midwife would be different than seeing an OB, but even my old OB wouldn't have suggested amniocentesis when it wasn't necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Can somebody reassure me that I can keep nursing my son??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AspensMama1537
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Wow, that all seems like over kill to me. None of my midwives were like that! I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

I don't know much about nursing and pregnancy, but as far as I know you will be fine. Hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.
polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM
I'm in the breastfeeding group too, so I've read about countless moms nursing throughout entire pregnancies. She was so nice too, I was really excited for the first two minutes of my appointment. I am hoping to find someone new soon, but I haven't picked a hospital to deliver in, so I can't start talking to midwives/ob's.
I know all midwives aren't like that, I guess I was just under the impression that all midwives are more natural minded than ob's.
the worst part was that since I go to a mainly Chinese doctor's office, they constantly speak in Chinese to each other. It never bothered me before with my regular doctor and the ped, but since the visit was so unpleasant it just made it worse.
I'm going back tomorrow to have the skin test looked at and I'll be canceling the other appointments they made for me. Hopefully I'll have a provider I'm comfortable with soon. I feel lucky that I live where I do because there are sooo many places that accept my coverage and I'm not stuck with my community health center. I really like it because all our records are in one place, but it's not worth the convenience.
How did you interview midwives to find out if they were a good match for you?

Quoting AspensMama1537:

Wow, that all seems like over kill to me. None of my midwives were like that! I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

I don't know much about nursing and pregnancy, but as far as I know you will be fine. Hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry thats absolutely ridiculous!!!!

You absolutely can nurse through pregnancy. As long as your not on pelvic rest then your fine.
JoJoBean8
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You can defiantly nurse while pregnant. 

AspensMama1537
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I got lucky. I just picked a group of midwives that had an office in the hospital I wanted to deliver in. I loved almost all of them immediately. One of them took a couple of meetings to really like.

Good luck!

Quoting polkaspots:

I'm in the breastfeeding group too, so I've read about countless moms nursing throughout entire pregnancies. She was so nice too, I was really excited for the first two minutes of my appointment. I am hoping to find someone new soon, but I haven't picked a hospital to deliver in, so I can't start talking to midwives/ob's.

I know all midwives aren't like that, I guess I was just under the impression that all midwives are more natural minded than ob's.

the worst part was that since I go to a mainly Chinese doctor's office, they constantly speak in Chinese to each other. It never bothered me before with my regular doctor and the ped, but since the visit was so unpleasant it just made it worse.

I'm going back tomorrow to have the skin test looked at and I'll be canceling the other appointments they made for me. Hopefully I'll have a provider I'm comfortable with soon. I feel lucky that I live where I do because there are sooo many places that accept my coverage and I'm not stuck with my community health center. I really like it because all our records are in one place, but it's not worth the convenience.

Quoting AspensMama1537:

polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I thought so too, but they were all so adamant about it I started to second guess myself. I'm not on any type of rest and I've only had regular pregnancy side effects and pains from pushing myself too hard. I have two kids, so taking it easy is kind of difficult some times.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I'm sorry thats absolutely ridiculous!!!!

You absolutely can nurse through pregnancy. As long as your not on pelvic rest then your fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure you meant definitely, but I will be defiantly nursing against that silly midwife's suggestion :) Thanks.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

You can defiantly nurse while pregnant. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope that's the case for me once I pick a hospital. I'm deciding between two atm.

Quoting AspensMama1537:

I got lucky. I just picked a group of midwives that had an office in the hospital I wanted to deliver in. I loved almost all of them immediately. One of them took a couple of meetings to really like.

Good luck!

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting AspensMama1537:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I breastfed my two year old throughout my pregnancy without complication and delivered a healthy 9 lb 9 oz boy. I nursed them both after delivery. I had colostrum and my milk came in on day three postpartum.

Even if nursing causes braxton hicks contractions so long as they stop when your done nursing and they don't intensify and become regular there shouldn't be any concern.

Quoting polkaspots:

Can somebody reassure me that I can keep nursing my son??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)