Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

This drives me crazy about breastfeeding advice...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this

I "like" several pages on Facebook that are breastfeeding support groups. I see these posts ALLL the time where moms are asking how to boost their supply. Tons of women jump on there giving all kinds of info on drinking tons of water, taking fenugreek, oatmeal, lactation cookies, etc. This gives the impression that breastfeeding is so hard and you HAVE to do all of these things to keep up a good milk supply. This is all simply not true. If I was a FTM I'd think BF was too much work!! 

The first thing that I wish was asked of the mom asking for advice is "why do you think you have a low supply?" and see if there is actually a problem or if they are just going through normal growth spurts, or tongue ties, or lip ties, etc. Or see if they've been given bad advice. This just drives me crazy to see all the time. The only thing you really need to do is skin to skin and nursing on demand around the clock. THAT is going to be what matters! I just think it gives BF this reputation of being so difficult when it isn't that hard.

Do you see this a lot too?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
It shocks me how many women think they have a low supply and advise other women if all this crazy stuff. That's why being clueless worked in my favor with my oldest, my boobs obviously made milk, after that I thought that's all there was to it :-P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I was just talking to my mom about this! Earlier this year I got super sick and my supply took a hit so did my babies weight and I tried all the tips you mentioned with no results. Then I went to the BF group and got the ONLY advice that actually worked; nurse like crazy and buy a supplemental nurser if I absolutely had to offer formula. Three weeks was all it took to fix our supply problem and her weight started coming back up within 2 weeks.
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you! I see it in the bf group here, too. And often the issue is with unreasonable or uneducated expectations, not an actual supply issue.
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Yep...

Quoting TTC2Long:

I'm with you! I see it in the bf group here, too. And often the issue is with unreasonable or uneducated expectations, not an actual supply issue.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It seems everyone thinks they have low supply. They seem to base it on pumping amount and baby nursing all the time. Not things you can base your supply on. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I have never had to take any of those to boost supply, but i also nurse on demand,.wear mt babies, bedshare and rarely leave them. I think usually supply issues happen when mom has to work and pump etc. Or with other issues like tongue or lip tie like you mentioned.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
YEP and WHen I ask I get ignored, or told that it doesnt matter, or its none of my business. OR the answer and supply isnt low at all and I tell them that and why and show links as to why and get told off.
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yes! All the time and it drives me crazy.

I always remind people true indicators of supply and explain that almost constant nursing is NORMAL newborn behavior and actually a good thing in the long run.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I've stopped using the term "breastfeeding" most of the time and switched to "nursing" because I think a lot of moms get hung up on the "feeding" element and can't figure out why their baby is "eating" all the time, and end up assuming they have low supply. Especially if they've bottle fed a previous baby or had moms or MILs who bottle fed. "Nursing" conveys a lot more emotional connection so it seems to work better when I talk to moms.

It's saddening to me that a lot of moms think they need to take something to increase their supply when really, they just need to spend more time cuddling their baby.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I've stopped using the term "breastfeeding" most of the time and switched to "nursing" because I think a lot of moms get hung up on the "feeding" element and can't figure out why their baby is "eating" all the time, and end up assuming they have low supply. Especially if they've bottle fed a previous baby or had moms or MILs who bottle fed. "Nursing" conveys a lot more emotional connection so it seems to work better when I talk to moms.

It's saddening to me that a lot of moms think they need to take something to increase their supply when really, they just need to spend more time cuddling their baby.

I use the word nursing lot too!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)