• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heartburn from hell and natural fixes...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and you guessed it...I have heartburn from hell. lol

I take over the counter pregnancy safe stuff BUT how good is it really to take over the counter meds ever let alone pregnant...so I've been looking for other ways.

Milk works fine for minor heartburn but I needed something more tonight so I tried the baking soda and water tip. I only did half a teaspoon and since you can cook with it I'm sure it's fine to have a tiny amount. So far so good! It worked fast and though I don't know how long it will last, at least it's less over the counter stuff I have to take :)

What did you use for heartburn while pregnant? 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JoJoBean8
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I just dealt with it. Everything gave me heartburn. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Pineapple (i liked them frozen), papaya, raw almonds (chew slowly), acv. I have heartburn from hell on occasions too, sometimes to the point of throwing up. If i catch it starting to build early these work, if i wait too long it more difficult to soothe. Gl
Momma2013
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I second what Precious333 said - ACV ACV ACV! When I was pregnant with ds I had HORRIBLE heartburn to the point that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep. People would say stuff like don't lay down or whatever, you're crazy sitting up, standing up - didn't matter! I had it every night. FINALLY I found a few people saying acv. So... I went to the store bought some apple cider vinegar and took that stuff 1/2 acv 1/2 water and did a shot of it! HORRIBLE NASTY but it fixed the heartburn fast.

It was the opposite of what you think, I needed something acidic, NOT "calming" There's a good explanation somewhere in here

MamaTwinkleA
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I used apple cider vinegar with the mother(has the apple pulp in it). A shot glass full a day killed my heartburn completly. Will warn you though...it burns like liquid fire the first couple times, I think because my throat was so raw from heartburn and reflux.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, ok I will give it a try :)

The baking soda is awesome for instant releif BUT I can't take it often because it's high in salt and I get heartburn often. I'll have hubby get some ACV and leave my baking soda cure for heartburn emergencys :)

I also get it so bad I can't sleep or throw up...sadly my over the conter stuff isn't even working well and last night I had to do baking soda in the middle of the night so I could get some sleep. If it weren't for the salt I would just do that everytime because it works so well.

Thank you for the advice though and I'll let you know how it worked :)

Quoting Momma2013:

I second what Precious333 said - ACV ACV ACV! When I was pregnant with ds I had HORRIBLE heartburn to the point that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep. People would say stuff like don't lay down or whatever, you're crazy sitting up, standing up - didn't matter! I had it every night. FINALLY I found a few people saying acv. So... I went to the store bought some apple cider vinegar and took that stuff 1/2 acv 1/2 water and did a shot of it! HORRIBLE NASTY but it fixed the heartburn fast.

It was the opposite of what you think, I needed something acidic, NOT "calming" There's a good explanation somewhere in here

Tiggeroo
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

my midwfie gave me Papaya and Enzymes ( in the vitamin isle of most pharmacies) it worked GREAT...although I didn't much care for the taste...if you pick some up they need to be chewed, not swallowed whole. :)

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
raw almonds chewed to a paste then swallowed worked great for me
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I never knew cider vinegar or baking soda works! I get heartburn now when I'm not pregnant so I'm going to try it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Uhg the ACV works better than nothing but not very well...milk is more soothing to my heartburn than ACV but the baking soda for me was instant releif :)

Quoting jconney80:

I never knew cider vinegar or baking soda works! I get heartburn now when I'm not pregnant so I'm going to try it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)