Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is natural birth possible at the hospital?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM
  • 33 Replies

When women go without an epidural they say they went natural, but do they it anything in the IV?  I am wondering because a nurse made a remark to my friend about how the stuff in the IV would help with the pain and they said the same thing to me.  I can't remember exactly how they said it, it's been a while,  

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JocelynsMama1
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

if they told you they put something in the iv to help with the pain then it wasnt all natural...they gave you pain meds....I had an iv for all of an hour maybe because the hopital i was at wouldnt let me deliver without it but it was strictly saline solution i wuldt let them put meds in it

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
They gave you some sort of pain medication via IV an IV alone is not unnatural to me though. To have a natural hospital birth these days you really need to educate yourself because most hospitals push pain meds and even home birthing moms might be tempted by instant relief if available.
larissalarie
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Of course it's possible. I've done it 3 times, soon to be 4. Don't get an iv and READ THE FORMS before you sign them. There's usually once consenting to labor augmentation in there. Don't sign it, then they can't give you that stuff :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
You can opt of of the IV. Some practices will feel more comfortable if you have a hep lock "just in case" but that doesn't mean you need to hook up to anything. With my second I went without even a hep lock.
The practice you are with makes a BIG difference. Choose wisely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Yes. I had a hep lock with my second, but nothing went in my body during labor.
Annettey19
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I had a pain med free/intervention free birth in a hospital. I did have an IV in place, and they could have put some sort of medication in there if I'd asked, but I just stuck to fluids. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Drug free birth without an IV? Yes. I've had one. Undisturbed, physiological birth, no in my opinion.

You can decline an IV altogether and I think it's beneficial. Gives you freedom of movement, prevents you from feeling like a patient, and makes it a lot asier to get pitocin or IV narcotics like demerol. Even just a saline solution "dilutes" the labor hormones and can slow things down. You're better off drinking water by mouth as you feel you need to.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

If they said the IV would help the pain then they gave you pain meds in the IV.  Some IVs re just saline and thats fine and wont help..or you can get the needle inserted and nothing attached.

Personally I dont think at MY hosital natural births are possible.  They press for meds, and interventions that make laboring how you need possible

mrs.hartman12
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM
My definition of a natural birth does not include the hospital. Unfortunatly I am having a natural as possible birth at a hospital this time around, but after having one at home I would never call the hospital natural.
Sister_Someone
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Why not? Unless you need it medically, you can refuse the IV.

Personally, I didn't get the epidural but it wasn't "all natural" either, nor did I want it to be. I had to have the IV because I was getting dehydrated and actually drinking fluid was making me sick so I just plain refused to do it and told the nurse that was hovering over me with a glass of water to fuck off before I bite her hand off. I requested that they push any kind of pain meds possible in there, too, because my insurance would cover those but not the epidural.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN