Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

For those who don't vaccinate...UPDATED W/ANOTHER QUESTION

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do you just NOT do it, or do I HAVE to have an exemption form on hand for hospital delivery of a new baby or even when I go in for check ups with other children who I am not allowing to continue vaccinations?

*Thank you everyone. Do I have to have an exemption form for each child to keep on record since we homeschool?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We declined at the hospital. They had DH sign the form and not me because I think they knew better than I know and knew what I was talking about they had me sign other papers. I was not happy. The one saying you are putting others at risk for not giving your child the HEP B shot and VIT k and goop. Please. Anyways we will be do ing that again but DH won't be signing it I WILL.  OH also we have religious expemtion for our children. I had out pastor do a letter and I need the form. Nice that the private school I just put my LO in didn't have a problem with it.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The only forms in our hospital was to sign CONSENTING to the vaccines, so when I declined the vaccines, I put a large 'x' on the paperwork and put declined by parent.  No signature needed because if I had signed, that would have given them the consent to vaccinate.  That and the rest of the stuff, like the eye stuff (and no bottles/formula/pacifiers) I had written on a large white board in my room so that any nurse or doctor who came into my room was immediately aware.  I didn't trust the line of communication just because of that telephone game where somebody says something and by the end of the line, it's something completely different.

monkeydavis05
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

my daughter is only 1, but at the hospital i just verbally refused the hep B (although my husband accompanied her to the nursery, so they may have had him sign something there). and at her Dr office, we just signed that we were declining

TippyD
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

we declined in hospital, were given a LOT of grief about turning down the vitamin k shot, but we were confident in our decision:)  same for Dr appointments. we just tell them we dont do shots. when they ask if she is up to date on her shots we say no. they ask why, and I tell them we dont do all vaccines. we have had one dr ask what religion we are, and while they are not SUPPOSE to ask that, I had no problem answering:)  anywho... we never had to sign a waiver or anything for drs or while in the hospital, now when she starts school we will need one:) IF we put her in school*we are planning on homeschooling:)*

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
You don't have too but I am putting a waiver with my birth plan and paperwork for my peace of mind.
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I had a homebirth but prior to the birth we were given papers to choose to exempt ourselves as it's legally mandated to give Vitamin K and eye ointment here in CT. They could actually be charged with neglect for not giving them.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Get the paperwork before you go into labor so you can read before hand what you're signing. Some forms apparently have you admit you are putting your child in harm. If that's the case, cross that part out and initial before signing their wavers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You only have to have an exemption form if you are going to enroll them in school or daycare. Some schools and daycares won't accept them though. And your state determines what kind of exemption you can have- religious, philosophical or medical.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM

^that. We didn't bring one when we declined vaccines during our hospital birth.

Just make sure to keep baby with you at all times since it's routinely given.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I think you just have to verbally decline but when the child starts school you may have to give them something in writting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)