• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a water birth?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
  • 16 Replies

I've always considered having a water birth, because I want to have a natural birth i've heard it helps better with pain. I don't know if my hospital gives water births but I'm going to ask tomorrow at my appt. or to at least labor in water. I'd just like some advice from moms who have had water births and what their experience was like?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I labored in a tub in the hospital, but I wasn't allowed to birth in there. Getting out during the urge to push sucked, but I actually ended up happy I have birth in bed.

It was amazing. The moment I stepped in I experienced a HUGE sense of calm and relief. I can't even describe how awesome the feeling was.

If they don't have tubs there, you can ask if you can bring in your own, or labor in a shower or bath tub, or even consider a home birh or birthing center. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I love the water, but my unborn babe did not.  While laying in the tub, his heartrates dropped into the 50s and caused the OBs to come running in and flap their arms like seals on a beach...  Shortly after I got out, his heartrates returned to normal, so I opted not to get back in, but to labor on the edge with my feet in the water...

LittleBabyBaker
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I never thought about bringing my own! Like a little pool lol. I really like that. Have you only had this one baby?

Quoting jellyphish:

I labored in a tub in the hospital, but I wasn't allowed to birth in there. Getting out during the urge to push sucked, but I actually ended up happy I have birth in bed.

It was amazing. The moment I stepped in I experienced a HUGE sense of calm and relief. I can't even describe how awesome the feeling was.

If they don't have tubs there, you can ask if you can bring in your own, or labor in a shower or bath tub, or even consider a home birh or birthing center. GL!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM
With my first birth I did not use a tub. The differences between these births are vast, my first being more medical with a jerk of an ob, my second totally natural with an awesome cnm.

Quoting LittleBabyBaker:

I never thought about bringing my own! Like a little pool lol. I really like that. Have you only had this one baby?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I labored in the tub with my last two and imo the hospital tub sucks. its not deep enough to submerge the belly or move. Once I get in it's almost baby time so I don't stay in long.
However some day I hope to have a home water birth with a deeper pool/tub so I can actually submerge and move and relax.
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I labored in the tub but for some reason cuold not fully push in the water I tried and tried but had to get out. I did however LOVE laboring in the tub, the warm water was AWESOME
notjstanothrmom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I had a pool set up and labored in it but I gave birth on my bed.
Crystal185
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm considering labouring in water too, it seems really relaxing lol
sm12
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Had a water birth at a birthing center for my son and it was awesome.  I can't begin to tell you how amazing it felt and how much it helped with the pain and the pressure since you're bouyant.  I labored and delivered in water.  There certainly is a difference with labouring in the shower and in the bath tub.  being actually submerged in the water is way better.  The only thing is once you get in the tub you want to make sure you keep getting out and doing somethign else like walking, rocking on birthing ball as just staying in the water the whole time relaxes you a lot and can actually slow down your birth.  But I would definitely would recommend a water birth and am doing again this time.  Also midwife said baby did not like when I was in squatting position when I was trying to push so instead of getting out totally i just changed positions in the pool.

Josie_P
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Well, I labored in water but gave birth on dry land, for lack of better words lol. Seriously, the water was amazing!! Calming, soothing, I'm definitely going to do it again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)