Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GMO crops

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

How worried are you about GMO crops? Do you avoid them?

I do worry about them but I don't avoid everything that may contain them. I find other things more important right now to avoid. Maybe once I get a handle on other things like processed crap, artificial colors, 'natural' flavors with our food and avoiding that, I'll worry about what may contain GMO stuff. I would like the government to require manufacturers to label their products as GMO though.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
They worry me a bit and I would appreciate things being labeled GMO when they are so that I could make a choice without too much work.
monalisasus
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this

they do not want to label GMOs and there is a big fight on that right now. almost all the grocery store food whould have the gmo label on it and its bad for there greedy selves.  I do avoid them at all costs becasue they are proven to cause cancer, specifically corn. GMO corn is banned in 62 countries becasue of it. I stay away from gmo wheat and canola as well. They are engineered to sell pesticides so they contain high amounts of them. it is also proven that they do not make larger crop production and diverse plant species are best, not this soil posioning monocropping bull. sorry I come from a farm family who farms ethically so I hate GMOS and anything cargil, monstanto, pfizer. 

monalisasus
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

beware the pesticides/GMO corps are creating fake info websites to promote GMOs and tell you they are fine since its becoming increasingly more and more of a topic. 

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM

They've been banned in Europe, correct?

funhappymom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

They've been banned in Europe, correct?

Yes, they've been banned in several places.

funhappymom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting monalisasus:

they do not want to label GMOs and there is a big fight on that right now. almost all the grocery store food whould have the gmo label on it and its bad for there greedy selves.  I do avoid them at all costs becasue they are proven to cause cancer, specifically corn. GMO corn is banned in 62 countries becasue of it. I stay away from gmo wheat and canola as well. They are engineered to sell pesticides so they contain high amounts of them. it is also proven that they do not make larger crop production and diverse plant species are best, not this soil posioning monocropping bull. sorry I come from a farm family who farms ethically so I hate GMOS and anything cargil, monstanto, pfizer. 

I would be ticked too. I live in a rural area of PA where lots of crops are grown, especially corn. I wonder as I drive past if the corn being grown in GMO.

You are right though, so much of the stuff in grocery stores would have to be labelled that way.

housewifehell
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I think about them every day its so frustrating when you try to go shopping and all the "food" is in some way altered chemically or genetically and in my mind its not food.  We have gone to "clean" eating and it makes a huge difference in both my DH and the kids and now the GMO issue is the biggest thing on my mind.  Trying to make sure we arent eating toxins isnt as hard as making sure things arent GMO I am about to go Gluten free because of the wheat. I swear it pisses me off to no end that it can be so difficult to find things that are real food to feed my family. Sorry didnt mean to rant but I HATE GMO's and other non-food ingredients in food.

JoJoBean8
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I am very worried about them. I only buy organic or no gmo verified.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)