• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ditching the tooth paste!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

Did you know that tooth paste is actually bad for you? Even natural tooth paste's often contain glycrin which sticks to teath and inhibits remineralization which actually contributes to cavity formation! YIKES

Lot's of top holistic dentist actually recomend ditching the paste and brushing with baking soda mixed with a bit of sea salt...while I'm not sure what the sea salt does I do know that Julia Roberts brushes her teath daily with straight up baking soda.

All that being said...time for me to ditch the tooth paste and move on to my friend Mr. Baking Soda.

Anyone here take a more natural oral aproach?

What bad for you items have you ditched lately?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have heard that toothpaste is bad for you BUT I still use it lol

I have ditched baby soap and sposies for my kiddos

monalisasus
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I just made some of my own and I love it. It uses bentonite clay powder, baking soda, celtic sea salt, lots of cinnamon and clove, and a bit of xilotol. I found it on youtube at shoshana kitchen. Its suppose to akalyine your mouth as well as cleaning it well so bad breath should be greatly reduced and I guess it whitens without striping enamel. I love it so far. 

I would jsut do straight baking soda if I could get my dd to like it

3kidz123
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I had thought of baking soda before but heard it could harm the enamal...now thoughts on this seem to have changed so I'm just using baking soda :)

Quoting monalisasus:

I just made some of my own and I love it. It uses bentonite clay powder, baking soda, celtic sea salt, lots of cinnamon and clove, and a bit of xilotol. I found it on youtube at shoshana kitchen. Its suppose to akalyine your mouth as well as cleaning it well so bad breath should be greatly reduced and I guess it whitens without striping enamel. I love it so far. 

I would jsut do straight baking soda if I could get my dd to like it

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Maybe I need to try baking soda

3kidz123
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

worst case you don't like it, but it couldn't hurt to try :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Maybe I need to try baking soda

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM

NOOOoooooo  I just switched to Toms, now you say that isnt good enough :(.

3kidz123
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Lol, sorry!

Check to see if it has glycrin because if not it might be ok!

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Calcium carbonate, glycerin, water, xylitol, hydrated silica, zinc citrate trihydrate, peppermint oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, carrageenan, sodium bicarbonate

bad

Calcium carbonate, glycerin, water, xylitol, hydrated silica, zinc citrate trihydrate, peppermint oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, carrageenan, sodium bicarbonate - See more at: http://www.tomsofmainestore.com/product/36788#sthash.kBJCYKsS.dpuf
Quoting 3kidz123:

Lol, sorry!

Check to see if it has glycrin because if not it might be ok!

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

larissalarie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I make my own. Baking soda, coconut oil, &cinnamon EO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I still just use baking soda and so does one of my kids. DH and dd use toothpaste, fluoride free for the tiny one and regular for the husband. Eventually I'll get around to making my own with that fancy bentonite clay, but I don't want to start doing it until we get our own place. I have enough trouble explaining the home made products we already use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)