Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have special needs kids?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

Did having a special needs child change how you parented as far as what came naturally?  I have a special needs son, he has sensory processing disorder, he had major issues as a baby being held, touched, eatting etc.  It was very hard because I naturally wanted to hug and kiss and cuddle him and it made him miserable.  It was very hard on me as a parent

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I came into parenting a special needs child late in the game. My BIL came to live with us when he was 11 due to behavior issues in the home and at school. My DH and I both had training working with adults with special needs and we were able to place him in a private school with an instructor with 20+ years of experience.

My biggest challenge with him was when to know to stop discussing an issue. With my children I choose to discuss a problem and try to help them understand. Sometimes with Eric you just had to stop and say this is just the way it is I can't change it. That for me was difficult.

He is now grown and living independently. We are very proud of him!

Just take things a day at a time :)
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My son has had a sensory flip now at age 9 and wants to be cuddled and snuggled and loves everythinghe hated as a baby....its relearning how to parent him thats hard

JoJoBean8
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM
No I don't
beinghuman
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I didn't do anything differently....per say. I just took my cuddles when I could- for as long as I could-repetition is king. He is 14 now- I get all the hugs and kisses I missed. He's doing great (as a person). I am totally blessed.

tnunley
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Not sure if Fi is considered special needs, but she does require extra work.  She is doing speech therapy twice a week and OT therapy once a week.  She doesn't have spd, but we are treating her for vestibular processing and oral processing difficulties. 

She is a thrill seeker with no fear, I have to find activities that meets her high tolerance of spinning, jumping, swinging, etc.   When she doesn't get enough she becomes cranky with meltdowns and won't sleep well.  Her oral problem can be a problem... she tends to be a biter and at almost 3, she still has her binky.  It's a slow process of redirecting and awarding.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

larissalarie
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
No, I do not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

My 3 year old has multiple needs.  He had a severe vax reaction at 8 weeks old.  His current dx list is Cerebral palsy, Epilepsy, global developmental delay, and Autism spectrum disorder.  I wore him almost constantly for 2 years (first in front, then on back).   He would just scream otherwise.  Now he is getting more independent and walking.  He comes to me when he wants affection and shys away when he does not.  I am still AP since I am taking his lead it is just differnt from how my dd wants to be raised. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Yes, i have a very special and needy children. Jk

Actually, my brother has downs syndrome and autism, very high needs. I am looking into my oldest possibility of having sensory processing disorder, or somethinf to that effect. Hes a very sensitive child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)