Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your children attend your homebirth?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Were they there for the whole thing? just for part? did they actively participate?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My 4 boys were in bed but we woke them up when I started pushing.  They left the room here and there, my 3 year old joined me in the tub and even rubbed my back when hubby got out.  My oldest is 11 and he cut the cord!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
My four year old was with me the whole time (in the hospital though), and she was incredibly helpful. She even stood by the mw while I birthed the baby, and she cut the cord. She was awesome.
If I had done it at home she'd have been just as involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM

That is so awesome, my oldest wanted to be there in the hospital last time but the hospital says no children under 12 allowed in the room during delivery

Quoting jellyphish:

My four year old was with me the whole time (in the hospital though), and she was incredibly helpful. She even stood by the mw while I birthed the baby, and she cut the cord. She was awesome.
If I had done it at home she'd have been just as involved.

Brieshon
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My then-almost-3yo twins were in the hospital delivery room when I birthed my youngest. My labor was so quick, my family didn't have time to get there, lol. This sweet nurse kept trying to keep them calm, but they totally didn't need it - they just sat there, eating their cheerios and raisins, telling my husband to get out of the way so they could see better, lmao. :) Their main concern was if it hurt (yep, no time for epi!), and afterward they told the story to everyone! They're almost 7 now, and still remember it.
larissalarie
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I haven't chosen to do home birth, but my oldest has been there for the births of her younger brothers at the hospital.

My middle child was barely 2 when my now 2 year old was born, which I felt was too young to be there. I feel the same way about the 2 year old being there for this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
My two year old was here the whole time. He slept on the couch the whole time.
conejoazul
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
If we succeed in having our home birth this fall, my 3yo is invited. He is currently watching birth videos with DH and I some days and seems to rank them "up there" with dinosaurs, lol! We'll see what actually happens when the time comes.
funhappymom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I had thought about letting my older two be there for my youngest birth but decided that it wasn't something I wanted the to see/hear/experience. I'm not sure what hospital policy is on that though.

JoJoBean8
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
bump
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

No, too young. I might in the future... not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)