Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Overdue - I need advice - UPDATE: GOOD NEWS

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: So if the baby doesn't come by Monday, do I wait or do I induce?

Options:

Wait. Baby will come when she's ready.

Induce. It is not worth the risk.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

After spending several hours on Friday using natural induction techniques, I went into labor early Saturday morning. Roughly 24 hours later, baby was born! It was a drug free, complication free birth. I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all for the wonderful advice!

Below is a summary of my situation. I'd love to get your opinions regarding what you would do in my place. Obviously, my first priority is having a healthy baby. Thanks! Sorry if it is all a bit long.

I'll be 42 week as of Monday, August 5th. This is my first pregnancy. I really want a natural, drug free birth but the doctors are really starting to pressure/scare me into having an induction next week. They keep reiterating the risk of Meconium aspiration.

I'm 1.5 cm dilated, 60% effaced, my placenta is in great shape, I lost my mucus plug and experienced bloody show this week and I haven't had any complications at all throughout the whole pregnancy. However, I'm having only very mild (hardly noticeable) contractions.

I've tried (and will continue to try) natural induction techniques including: walking, birthing ball, squats, red raspberry leaf, spicy foods, nipple stimulation, acupressure, acupuncture, sex, vibrator, and I've also had my membranes swept, twice.

So if the baby doesn't come by Monday, do I wait or do I induce? I'm so confused and upset that I'm having trouble controlling my emotions, which is certainly not a great state to make decisions in.

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as everything looks good for you and baby, I'd wait.

mamabens
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally would wait but I might not be the person to ask lol. I had Maddox at 44 weeks. Could your dates be off? Baby will come soon, you can't be pregnant forever 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Have you had a biophysical profile or a non stress test done? If those and kick counts remained good, then I would wait it out. 42 wks is still within the "normal" range of 37-42 wks. Hugs! I know you must be getting tired though.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I would wait it out, its very possible that your date is off by more then the average two weeks. As long as everything looks good you have nothing to worry. I have talked to many moms that go past the 42 weeks without a problem and have an amazing natural birth

Jenn8604
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Go walk, have lots of hot sex, swing on swings, and drive down hilly roads to attempt to speed stuff along That's my advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I know it's so hard to wait! Continue monitoring, and as long as everything looks good, wait. You will not be pregnant forever!!
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

This is the weird thing about meconium aspiration. Meconium in utero is fairly common, especially for births past 41 weeks. Usually doctors want to induce, or will augment a labor if meconium is present when waters break. But induction/augmentation causes more stress to the baby and increases his risk of aspiration. So really the best thing to do (usually) is let nature do its thing and allow the body to labor without intervention, to make the transition as gentle as possible to reduce the risk of aspiration. But doctosr are trained to intervene and usually the opposite happens and something that wasn't an emergency turns into an emergency because of the way it was managed.

Here's an article with some more information http://midwifethinking.com/2010/10/09/the-curse-of-meconium-stained-liquor/

I personally would wait for labor to begin spontaneously. It sounds like everything is progressing wonderfully and normally, no need to force baby out to match an estimated due date. Hang in there and try to spend some time doing fun things to take your mind off a seemingly never-ending pregnancy. Hugs!

Quoting tetris1515:
[...] They keep reiterating the risk of Meconium aspiration. [...]

thetardis
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I would induce. I would be 42 weeks on Monday too if I had not gone into labor at 40 weeks 4 days. I don't trust my body. Probably because I suffer from preterm labor. I would listen to your body. If you and baby are both healthy and you do not want to induce, wait. You can always change your mind whenever. Take it one day at a time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
larissalarie
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM
If everything looks good, wait. There are risks to induction as well.
It sounds like you're so very close!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Six weeks after my first son was born, a  mama passed away at the same hospital due to the docs using Misoprostol/Cytotec to induce her for high blood pressure.  She hemorraged.

I say this not to scare you, but to inform you that inductions do carry risks.  When the benefit of being induced outweighs the risk, then you can consider an induction...

Have the doctors tell you HOW they would induce you, so you can research their methods and come to informed consent.  Common induction methods are Misoprostol/Cytotec and Cervidil.  An alternate to these would be a Foley Bulb.  In almost all cases they plan to use Pitocin.  An alternate to this would be nipple stimulation via breast pump.

Hugs, mama!  Your baby is almost here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)