It's a little long...
Labor started late this afternoon. My SiL took me to the birth center (free standing birth center) and I labored in the tub for a little while. Then I was feeling bunch of pressure so I reached down to feel with my hand. I felt like her head was way down in there but something was between her head and my touch. My midwife said it was probably the amniotic sack. Then my water burst and my midwife said "Well lets see if we have a head down there". She didn't feel anything, no baby at all. Which was weird because baby had been head clear down (and we thought engaged) for a couple of weeks. She said we needed to get out of the water and check for a prolapsed cord because the baby had moved suddenly and my amniotic sack had ruptured (this was not a slow leak, fluid was pouring out of me). She brought in an ultrasound and baby was transverse! The middle of her back was right where my cervix was. Unfortunately, transverse baby meant a hospital transfer.
The backup OB is my kids ped and I really trust him. He has a very good reputation in the natural birth community here as does this hospital. He and my midwife tried and tried and tried to get baby to turn and she would not budge. At all. My contractions were coming every 2 min but they weren't painful and the OB said that was likely because baby wasn't down in my pelvis. Once it was clear that getting her head down was not happening, we tried to see if she would at least swing butt down. A breech delivery wouldn't be ideal but a vaginal breech birth would still be preferable to a c-section. It didn't work. We tried different positions. Nothing. She didn't even shift.
We decided that since baby was still doing well that we would prep for a c-section but in the meantime take an hour or so to pump fluids through the IV and see if we could get my amniotic fluid up to give her some buoyancy and maybe that would help her move. Unfortunately, about 10 min later my contractions kicked into high gear. Baby was not turning or trying to turn and her back was pushing down into my pelvis into my cervix. The OB said this was no longer a safe situation for either one of us. You know how you hear people say that of it takes 2 hours to prep for an "emergency" section it probably isn't an actual emergency? I totally believe that now. Because when the OB said now it happened crazy fast. It was less than 30 min and I was prepped, in the OR and in surgery. The OB had a hard time getting her out too. Somehow she had really managed to lodge herself up in there.
In the end, it all turned out okay. They did delay cord clamping. The placenta came out quickly after baby so they put the placenta in a bowl and placed it next to baby. When it quit pulsing they cut the cord. They have respected and encouraged all of my other requests as well. Skin to skin happened as quickly as possible post section. I was super shaky so I wasn't comfortable with it until I was on a more secure bed but she has been in bed on my chest with me for about the past 8 hours. She is nursing like a champ and has been remarkably alert.
I'm bummed that things didn't go as planned at the birth center considering this is my last child. However, I do feel like this was the right decision given the situation and I am ultimately happy that everyone is healthy.
on Aug. 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM