Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural first birth

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 47 Replies
Did anyone here give birth naturally their first pregnancy? I really would like to do a natural (non medicated) childbirth but this is my first child and I cannot tell you how many people are telling me that I'm making a bad decision. SO and SIL are being supportive, but those are the only two people. Also, it seems most books that I have read are saying for your first you should always have an epidural. I would love to hear from some ladies who have given birth naturally for their first and their experience with it. I know I want a non medicated childbirth, but everyone is doubting my ability to do so.
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brieshon
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM
There is absolutely no reason to get an epi with your first birth, unless that is your wish to do so (which it sounds like it isn't). Before a few decades ago, women had been giving birth unmedicated for thousands of years. If friends and family aren't being supportive, I would just not bother talking to them about it. It's your body, your baby. So glad your SO and SIL are on your side, at least!
leew8372
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yea, I'm so sick of being told "you can't do it" or "you're crazy" or "Doctors know best and they all think you should have an epidural".. It's so annoying. I try not to talk about it now, but seems like when women get together, that is all they want to talk about and I really don't want to lie to my family and friends and just say that I'm getting one just to shut them up about it. What is even more annoying is that most of these women have never even thought of having natural birth, they just automatically got the epi without doing any research on it. SIL is the only person close to me that has done as much research as I have and she is due next month and going natural as well, it's so nice to talk with her about it and not have her make rude comments.

Did you have a natural birth for your first? If so, how did it go?

Quoting Brieshon:

There is absolutely no reason to get an epi with your first birth, unless that is your wish to do so (which it sounds like it isn't). Before a few decades ago, women had been giving birth unmedicated for thousands of years. If friends and family aren't being supportive, I would just not bother talking to them about it. It's your body, your baby. So glad your SO and SIL are on your side, at least!

Pregnancy Ticker

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I've never read anything that said any woman birthing vaginally needed an epidural. I had a homebirth midwife for my first baby. I suggest The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin. A doula could help support you in labor if your friends and family are unsupportive.
Chunkymunkey922
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I had my first baby naturally. I went to a midwife in a free standing birth center. People said stuff but I just fired back with my list of reasons for wanting it that way. (Dds dad is 6'8" so I was expecting a 10lb baby and her due date was christmas eve, i didnt want tobe pressured into an early induction for size or to avoid holidays). Just let them know what your decision is and that you will not listen to ant negativity.
3kidz123
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

There's no reason why you can't BUT don't go into it blind! I won't lie it does hurt...some women luck out and the pain is not too bad while others are in a great deal of pain from 2cm on. My first it hurt from 2cm on but it stayed at about the same strength (I had a epidural but it didn't work and I felt everything). With my last birth I didn't feel contractions till 8cm but transition was strong...my last was a natural homebirth and it was my best birth so far even though transition was very painful.

The key at least for me is understanding how I handle pain and being prepard for what I might need. I personally have a low pain tolerence and low will power, so it's easier for me NOT to be in the hospital with pain meds right around the corner. Also I do well with lots of support and freadom beacuse once I get into strong contractions I don't do well being told what I should do. Once I hit that point I need to be able to move around and do what feels best for me...sometimes that's hands and knees and sometimes it's in the tub.

Since this is your first try to think about your pain tolerence...are you calm and nice when sick or in pain? Do you get mean and cranky? Do you like and do well in hospitals? Do you do better in your own space when you don't feel well? If you do better in your own space but can't or don't want a homebirth try to make the hospital more home like. Bring things that make you comfy like your own pillows, slippers, robe, flameless candles that make you feel at home, pictures of family and friends. Also do lots of research on what the body goes through during labor so your not scared and you know whats going on. If your birthing in the hospital geet a doula so you don't end up getting bossed around or bullied into things you don't want.

GL

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'm expecting my first in October and planning on going all natural as well :) good luck!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Of course you can have a natural bith with your first.
Brieshon
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Mt first birth was high risk preemie (30-week) twins, so I opted for meds. My labor with my youngest (full term singleton) went to quickly for drugs! Lol! I had actually planned on getting a walking/light epidural (I was sooooo scared of the pain), but afterwards I was so glad I had him drug-free. I felt amazingly empowered, like freaking supermom. I never thought I could do it, but I did! If I were having more kids (I'm not), I would definitely go natural.

Quoting leew8372:

Yea, I'm so sick of being told "you can't do it" or "you're crazy" or "Doctors know best and they all think you should have an epidural".. It's so annoying. I try not to talk about it now, but seems like when women get together, that is all they want to talk about and I really don't want to lie to my family and friends and just say that I'm getting one just to shut them up about it. What is even more annoying is that most of these women have never even thought of having natural birth, they just automatically got the epi without doing any research on it. SIL is the only person close to me that has done as much research as I have and she is due next month and going natural as well, it's so nice to talk with her about it and not have her make rude comments.

Did you have a natural birth for your first? If so, how did it go?

Quoting Brieshon:

Quen
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I did.

I had an unassisted home water birth for my first child about twelve weeks ago. :)

Ignore everyone else.  Everyone said I couldn't do it and I would need to go to the hospital and have an epidural.  I proved them wrong! Lol.

SeattleBabyBump
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my first baby last month, all natural, in a freestanding birth center. You can totally do it. First birth doesn't mean anything. People are just scared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN