Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Interesting parenting issue...

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

Every time someone is changing a baby, or when we are at the grocery store and he sees someone buying disposables, he goes on this rant to them about how they should be using cloth diapers because it's healthier for the baby and not littering and filling up the landfills with disposable diapers that will be there for years and years... I know he's RIGHT, but it's rude to be judging and telling these moms off like that.... 

I'm like "Would you PLEASE stop trying to convince other moms to make the same parenting decisions I make? I know these things are very important to mom, and you are trying to help these moms, but REALLY. The baby is fed and changed, so let it be!" 

How do I get my six year old to stop this and understand that it's OK that these other moms do things differently than I do? Oy. 

pregnancy week by week

baby

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
He's six and doing this? I thought you were talking about your husband!
I'd would talk to him about how people are different and do different things. Some people wear hats, some don't; some drive cars, some ride bikes; some people use different diapers and that's ok. Would you want someone you don't know to tell you you're wearing the wrong kind of shoes (or something that he really likes)?
With my six year old, I've established the "do unto others" rules, so we talk about how if she wouldn't like someone to tell her something, she shouldn't say it to others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaliary
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

haha, no, my husband has tact. :) my son is just my little activist, and wants everyone to know about things that he sees as better (which is heavily influenced on what I see or decide is better haha). 

Quoting jellyphish:

He's six and doing this? I thought you were talking about your husband!
I'd would talk to him about how people are different and do different things. Some people wear hats, some don't; some drive cars, some ride bikes; some people use different diapers and that's ok. Would you want someone you don't know to tell you you're wearing the wrong kind of shoes (or something that he really likes)?
With my six year old, I've established the "do unto others" rules, so we talk about how if she wouldn't like someone to tell her something, she shouldn't say it to others.

pregnancy week by week

baby

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

that's so cute that he's such an activist!  I hear lots of other mom's telling kids at that age..Worry about yourself. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you need to explain to him that its awesome he is passionate about something like this, BUT that it is a choice and if he wants to share his opinion there are nice ways to do it.  Teach him you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

muisjes
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM
At first I was talking about your DH, so to hear that it's your 6 yo son was doing this was a surprise. I would teach him that it is absolutely okay to have such a stronge opinion, but that it's a choice. Refer to something he likes. "How would you like it if someone came up to you telling you you don't have the right bike."
mjande4
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

The only way that he would have gotten the idea that this was acceptable is from you.  You filled him with this knowledge, and while that's admirable, clearly you went overboard and now he's THAT kid.  I honestly thought that it was your husband when I first read the thread and I had a few choice thoughts.  I have even more now that I know it's a kid.  If he's this opinionated/judgemental, and he shouldn't be, about this topic, then he's probably alienating classmates with diatribes on other subjects.  You need to teach him how to respectfully discuss things and not to bring up topics unless asked.  KWIM

Kaliary
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Ya... he's always kind of been 'THAT kid' haha... The only talk we had about the diapers was when he asked me why I wasn't buying disposibles for the new baby, and I told him why, and that we have 90 cloth diapers at home, so I don't need to buy any. He jus kind of launched off of that... I'm sure he'll see me baby wear this baby, and decide that's better than strollers, or tell me off for not putting baby in a stroller or something... haha. My biggest problem with him is that he's very intelegent, and though he's only six, (with a six year old's lack of tact) he reads and opperates at a 4-5th grade level. I find it hard to consoludate thoes two things; what's appropriate for his age vs. operating level... and then when he ACTS like a six year old, it's hard to remind myself "he's only six..." haha. 

Quoting mjande4:

The only way that he would have gotten the idea that this was acceptable is from you.  You filled him with this knowledge, and while that's admirable, clearly you went overboard and now he's THAT kid.  I honestly thought that it was your husband when I first read the thread and I had a few choice thoughts.  I have even more now that I know it's a kid.  If he's this opinionated/judgemental, and he shouldn't be, about this topic, then he's probably alienating classmates with diatribes on other subjects.  You need to teach him how to respectfully discuss things and not to bring up topics unless asked.  KWIM

pregnancy week by week

baby

GeoRocks
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha I thought you were referring to DH/SO! LOL It is cute, in a way he's defending his mama! BUT he does need to learn to respect others, even if he doesn't agree. Trust me there is ALOT I don't agree with when it comes to parenting, and Im sure others feel the same about some of mine, but I would never out right say something to a stranger is wrong. Unless it was causing harm to the child.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM
That is really cute that he is so natural.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell my 5 yr old that everyone does things differently in their families. What we do is what is best for our family but not everyone is like out family. She had issues when my friend had a baby and was formula feeding. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)