Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How many times a day should my 7wk old be nursing?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
???
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carter61110
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM
8-12 was normal for my son.
Corina1987
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this
When ever he shows hunger cues. I still feed on demand with my 5 month old. It increases milk supply. They know how much they need. Breast milk digests quickly so it seems like they are always hungry. Good luck
BellaBlue92
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I always nurse on demand, but he hasn't been nursing as often as he usually does, he's only nursed maybe 5 times today that's why I was asking.

Quoting Corina1987:

When ever he shows hunger cues. I still feed on demand with my 5 month old. It increases milk supply. They know how much they need. Breast milk digests quickly so it seems like they are always hungry. Good luck

sm12
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

At that age my son nursed every two hours, I fed him on demand. It could be your little one is going through a growth spurt.  Best way to tell if he is getting enough is by the number of wet diapers he has.  You could also try offering it to him instead of waiting for his cues.  A few other things you could try is taking a soak and have him with you, that way you both are bonding. Skin to skin and then offer him to nurse or you could remove your his and your clothes and nurse him then.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
He'll let you know. A baby's schedule waxes and wanes with growth spurts, teething, and development. It's normal for baby to nurse abnormally frequently or infrequently. All you need to worry about are diaper counts, growth and smiles; he'll do the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

let him tell you, dont worry till his diapers drop for more then one day in a row. 

BellaBlue92
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM
That's how much he usually nurses. He's still getting what's considered to be enough wet/dirty diapers, but it's less than how many he normally has. Soak as in take a bath with him?

Quoting sm12:

At that age my son nursed every two hours, I fed him on demand. It could be your little one is going through a growth spurt.  Best way to tell if he is getting enough is by the number of wet diapers he has.  You could also try offering it to him instead of waiting for his cues.  A few other things you could try is taking a soak and have him with you, that way you both are bonding. Skin to skin and then offer him to nurse or you could remove your his and your clothes and nurse him then.

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:44 AM
As long as diaper count is ok let him tell you how often

Quoting BellaBlue92:

That's how much he usually nurses. He's still getting what's considered to be enough wet/dirty diapers, but it's less than how many he normally has. Soak as in take a bath with him?

Quoting sm12:

sm12
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yes have a soak in the bath tub with him.  make sure water is high enough to keep you both warm and you can cover him with a towel.  Whenever my son did not feed as usual like you i would worry and this is one of the things I did and not only is it a great bonding experience but for some reason my son would do great with nursing then. 

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting sm12:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM
As long as his diaper count is good the amount of times a day doesn't matter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)