Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breast pumps

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 18 Replies

Have you tried any and which ones did you like.  Which ones were a rip off?  With my first son I strictly breast fed because he rejected the bottle, but with this baby I would like to be able to go to the gym or the grocery store and not worry about the baby eating.  Thanks!  

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
For heavy use, I've found you get what you pay for. With daily use, my $75 pump broke in a month. My $125 pump broke in three months. My $300 pump in style seems to last forever; this time I bought one used and have been pumping almost daily for 16 months with it and I still love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM

That's what I was wondering.  I breast fed  my first for a year so I would like to do the same with this one.  I would save up three hundred dollars for something that will last!!  

Quoting jellyphish:

For heavy use, I've found you get what you pay for. With daily use, my $75 pump broke in a month. My $125 pump broke in three months. My $300 pump in style seems to last forever; this time I bought one used and have been pumping almost daily for 16 months with it and I still love it.

sm12
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

With my son although I did not pump a lot but when I did I used the Lansinoh double pump and it worked great. Their customer service is also good.  I would definitely receommend getting a breastpump from babiesrus and getting their warranty plan which is relatively cheap in comparison to the pump itself but what i like about it is that if anythign goes wrong with it, even if you dropped it they will just tell you to pick another one fo rthe value of the original.  Same for video monitors, if you drop it and the screen cracks they will replace, no questions asked.

Also I would check with your health insurance as a lot of them these days are covering cost of a breastpump.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I was given one from my insurance company. It worked well but I only pumped for earaches and runny noses.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I exclusively pumped for 6 months and used the Medela Pump In Style Advance. Its hospital grade and can be used as a single or double. The only time I ever had trouble was when I didnt check the small parts and didnt realize that they can and do after awhile need replaced but there were extremely cheap to buy on amazon. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I love my In Style Pump!!

alc4evermom
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My fiancĂ© is going to see if our insurance covers a pump when he gets home tonight.  I went to the medela website and there are a lot of distributors here, including where I am delivering, that offer the In Style pump and accept insurance.  Yay!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Medela ameda hygeia and lansinoh brands are worth it electric wise..manual lansinoh, medela and avent

NO evenflo or playtex pumps

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Wow that's crazy! I have an inexpensive evenflow double electric that I bought 5 years ago and used daily for a year with baby #2 because of working full time and only occasionally with #3 and that thing still works!

OP it seems like most people recommend the Pump in Style, I must have gotten very lucky.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandymandy11
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I have had much success with anything medela brand ( pump - n- style) .  They make a single electric pump called the "Swing".  Works as well as the pump-n-style, but a little less expensive, $125 maybe?  A good option, especially if you are just pumping occasionally.  I even used this when I worked.

Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)