Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How Do You Get your Toddlers to take a Nap?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 49 Replies

Hello:

I have a 2 year old that sometimes is hard to get him to take his nap during the day (starting time anywhere in the early to late afternoon) and on those days that he does not nap earlier, it sometimes leads to him taking late naps going into his dinner time.  I know he needs to take a nap so it won't run into dinner time, and mess up his bedtime.  Therefore, I just wanted to know how do you moms get your toddlers to take his or her naps during the day, and how long do they usually sleep?  Do you do special tricks (lol) like run with them outside to make them tired and exhausted, sing them to sleep, turn down the shades in their room, etc. or do they just routlinely go to sleep after they get their lunch, or morning stroll?  Thank you in advance for your response and stories.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I nurse mine to sleep. Then put her down. For bed as well. But if I leave at night or move her she wakes up and bakc to it. Then sleep and unlatch her. So far so good. Its nice because she is weaning or doing it for comfort and then dreamland. Im 21 weeks and I want them to me for a while before baby is born. :)

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

First develop a schedule, then put him down the same time, same place, everyday. You can help him transition and relax by playing soft, no lyrics, music that is at 60 BPM, or resting heart rate.  Within just a few minutes of listening to this type of music, his HR and respiration rate will slow, and blood pressure drop. These phsycial changes will set the stage for sleep. Google my screen name to find CD.

BeFit-Mom

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'm having trouble getting by 2yr old to take a nap also.  If we go someplace like a park in the morning and run a lot he will for sure pass out on the way home.  But if were not going any where he normally won't then and pass out around 4pm.  If that happens I get him up after an hour so he goes to bed on time.  If anyone has any special tricks let me know also!

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Hello Baby4us09:

Thank you for responding and your story.  I am glad that is working out for you and hope that it goes even better when your other child is born.  Conratulations on your new baby!

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hello Be-Fit-Mom:

Thank you for responding.  It is ironic you mentioned playing soft music because when he was younger from newborn to maybe up until when he was around 14 -18 months, I stopped the classical radio, and the white noise machine.  I was last doing the classical music on the radio, but when my son messed up the radio to where it affected the sound, I stopped playing it, but of course I can pop in some classical cd's on the cd player, etc.  I will try this again, but will put his radio/cd player up off the floor (lol).  Did you or any other mom's out there ever wake your children once they napped?  Thanks

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

larissalarie
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM
By that age we had a well established schedule. I just nursed them to sleep for naps always.
My 2.5 year old actually quit taking naps a few months ago, other than rare days. And my 4 year old quit taking naps a few months before turning 3. Only my oldest napped past age 2, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

My oldest is 11 and puts the 3 year old down by cuddling with him..once school starts I have NO clue how hubby will get him to nap lol

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM
we already had a routine with our oldest so we rocked him to sleep until around 2 and then he transitioned to putting himself down.
Second kid was more sporadic and never took scheduled naps. But still naps a couple times a week at 3.5yo. She just goes to bed with a book or a couple no sounds toys and drifts off.
The little one is 16mo and I nurse her to sleep then lay her down.

Side note: to reply to a specific reply just click/press the quote button directly below the comment then the mom who replied will get notified that you replied to them. Otherwise if they don't happen to open your post again they won't know
chotovec82
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I don't. My son is now 3 but he hasn't taken naps since he was about 2 yrs old. I just went with it. Obviously he doesn't need a nap or else he'd fall asleep. I put my kids to bed at 7:30 and they wake around 6:30-7 am. No naps and they are hardly ever cranky.
blessings2cum
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Hello larissalarie:

Thank you for responding.  I never really had a strict schedule with my son, aside from me trying to feed him at certain times for his meals, therefore, I was wondering if that is why he is sleeping later on somedays, even when I see signs that he is nodding off, but yet does not go down to sleep.  Thanks again for sharing.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting larissalarie:

By that age we had a well established schedule. I just nursed them to sleep for naps always.
My 2.5 year old actually quit taking naps a few months ago, other than rare days. And my 4 year old quit taking naps a few months before turning 3. Only my oldest napped past age 2, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)