Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How Do You Get your Toddlers to take a Nap?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello:

I have a 2 year old that sometimes is hard to get him to take his nap during the day (starting time anywhere in the early to late afternoon) and on those days that he does not nap earlier, it sometimes leads to him taking late naps going into his dinner time.  I know he needs to take a nap so it won't run into dinner time, and mess up his bedtime.  Therefore, I just wanted to know how do you moms get your toddlers to take his or her naps during the day, and how long do they usually sleep?  Do you do special tricks (lol) like run with them outside to make them tired and exhausted, sing them to sleep, turn down the shades in their room, etc. or do they just routlinely go to sleep after they get their lunch, or morning stroll?  Thank you in advance for your response and stories.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (41-49):
mamatinaraye
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My LO is very routine driven. We have fun in the morning, but at 11:30 she is eating lunch, and at noon we head to bed. I close the shades, snuggle with her, and nurse her. She's usually out within five minutes and sleeps about two hours.

We open the blinds at 2:30 if she isn't up yet; otherwise, we have trouble with getting her down at bedtime.

I should add that she naps on our bed, so it's really easy for me to slip out once she is asleep.

MamaPrime
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Nursing, quiet time and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELxRMUxLHY  turned up loud enough to hear the "WAH WAH WAH" bass sounds

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Good Afternoon outstandingLove:

Like I mentioned to some of the other ladies,Thank you for your reply and I normally try to get to my replies sooner, so I do apologize for responding to you late. 

Wow, another child that just takes a nap, no problem (lol).  In looking at the things you do when your daughter is and is not having a fit, I ask how old is she?  Obviously, she gets it that if you get fussy you won't get to do something you like.  I need to try that with my 2 year old son now that he is communicating more and better with us.  Thanks again for responding.

Blessings2cum

Quoting outstandingLove:

I just tell her it's nap time. She lays down and takes a nap.

She is starting to outgrow her naps tho so recently we've been doing, if she doesn't make a fuss about nap time she can have a book to read in bed (if she falls asleep great! if not, well, then at least she rested) but if she cries and wines and throws a fit about it she doesn't get to have a book.

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hello mamatinaraye:

Thank you so much for responding.  It really seems like the nursing is helping out a lot of mothers.  I used to nurse him for the first 3 months, then encountered problems.  When my son naps he likes to do a 3 hour nap.  Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with your daughter's sleeping routine.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum 

Quoting mamatinaraye:

My LO is very routine driven. We have fun in the morning, but at 11:30 she is eating lunch, and at noon we head to bed. I close the shades, snuggle with her, and nurse her. She's usually out within five minutes and sleeps about two hours.

We open the blinds at 2:30 if she isn't up yet; otherwise, we have trouble with getting her down at bedtime.

I should add that she naps on our bed, so it's really easy for me to slip out once she is asleep.

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hello MamaPrime:

Thank you for responding and the link.  Another member gave a suggestion about relaxing music as well.  Thanks again.  Now, I take it you use this music on your children, if so how quickly does it works to put them in the mood to nap or just settle down and relax?

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting MamaPrime:

Nursing, quiet time and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELxRMUxLHY  turned up loud enough to hear the "WAH WAH WAH" bass sounds

Laesmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM
My daughter gave up all naps at around 18 months. It drives me crazy. Wish i could get her to nap. She is 2.5 now.
blessings2cum
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Hello Leesmommy:

Thanks for responding.  Ironically, my son is actually sleeping now, he went down around 4:30pm, but I am going to wake him up for dinner within the next half hour.  My son was really active, busy and getting into everything and he finally decided to go down, but this time mommy is going to wake him up sooner because if not it messes up dinner time for him, and even messes up bedtime if I were to let him nap for his 3 hour naps; that is why I want him to take a nap earlier in the afternoon after I give him his lunch around 12:30pm, but I know he has a mind of his own and obviously gets tired when he gets tired and not when I want him to get tired (lol).  Thanks again for responding.  Definitely look at some of the wonderful suggestions that the other mothers offered to me.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting Laesmommy:

My daughter gave up all naps at around 18 months. It drives me crazy. Wish i could get her to nap. She is 2.5 now.

outstandingLove
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM

She is 3. But she is about a year behind in language. It took a few times of us telling her that if she didn't fuss about it that she could have a reward, and if she did fuss then she didn't get that reward before she started making the better choice.

Quoting blessings2cum:

Good Afternoon outstandingLove:

Like I mentioned to some of the other ladies,Thank you for your reply and I normally try to get to my replies sooner, so I do apologize for responding to you late. 

Wow, another child that just takes a nap, no problem (lol).  In looking at the things you do when your daughter is and is not having a fit, I ask how old is she?  Obviously, she gets it that if you get fussy you won't get to do something you like.  I need to try that with my 2 year old son now that he is communicating more and better with us.  Thanks again for responding.

Blessings2cum

Quoting outstandingLove:

I just tell her it's nap time. She lays down and takes a nap.

She is starting to outgrow her naps tho so recently we've been doing, if she doesn't make a fuss about nap time she can have a book to read in bed (if she falls asleep great! if not, well, then at least she rested) but if she cries and wines and throws a fit about it she doesn't get to have a book.

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I have a daycare.  There are 3  2 yr olds in it.  We eat lunch at 11:30.  Then all the kids pick up toys.  Then they get their pillows and blankets and find their spot on the floor/couch.  They take turns picking out a movie.  I try to make my living room as dark as possible (I don't have any coverings for the windows, yet, because we just got new ones and they are not done, yet.)  Then we watch a movie.  They are required to be quiet and still while the movie is playing.  Most of the time, they fall asleep.  If one of them has trouble being quiet and still, I put him/her in a pack n play in a bedroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN