Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How Do You Get your Toddlers to take a Nap?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello:

I have a 2 year old that sometimes is hard to get him to take his nap during the day (starting time anywhere in the early to late afternoon) and on those days that he does not nap earlier, it sometimes leads to him taking late naps going into his dinner time.  I know he needs to take a nap so it won't run into dinner time, and mess up his bedtime.  Therefore, I just wanted to know how do you moms get your toddlers to take his or her naps during the day, and how long do they usually sleep?  Do you do special tricks (lol) like run with them outside to make them tired and exhausted, sing them to sleep, turn down the shades in their room, etc. or do they just routlinely go to sleep after they get their lunch, or morning stroll?  Thank you in advance for your response and stories.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
blessings2cum
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hello tabi_cat1023:

Thank you for responding.  That is cute your child helping with his sibling,  prayerfully your hubby can have the magic touch with rocking your 3 year old to sleep like your 11 year old did (lol).  Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My oldest is 11 and puts the 3 year old down by cuddling with him..once school starts I have NO clue how hubby will get him to nap lol

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Hello melindabelcher:

Thank you for responding.  It is good and interesting to see the differences in children behaviors, traits, and how they respond.  I am sure that can make a parent with more than one child knowledgeable that there is no right or wrong way with some parenting techniques, I guess it is more in knowing how your child's temperament, trait, or behavior style is and to tailor some things towards their temperament, behavior, or trait.  Thank you and thanks for the side note.

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting melindabelcher:

we already had a routine with our oldest so we rocked him to sleep until around 2 and then he transitioned to putting himself down.
Second kid was more sporadic and never took scheduled naps. But still naps a couple times a week at 3.5yo. She just goes to bed with a book or a couple no sounds toys and drifts off.
The little one is 16mo and I nurse her to sleep then lay her down.

Side note: to reply to a specific reply just click/press the quote button directly below the comment then the mom who replied will get notified that you replied to them. Otherwise if they don't happen to open your post again they won't know

blessings2cum
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hello chotovec62:

Thank you for responding. Sometimes, my son can even nodd off, but yet does not go down to sleep, so those are moments I know hey my son was sleepy, but obviously fought off taking a nap.  He can even spring back up and want to play, or get into things just after I think he is going to take a nap and still no nap.  Maybe he will be getting closer to no naps at all, who knows time will tell.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't. My son is now 3 but he hasn't taken naps since he was about 2 yrs old. I just went with it. Obviously he doesn't need a nap or else he'd fall asleep. I put my kids to bed at 7:30 and they wake around 6:30-7 am. No naps and they are hardly ever cranky.

chotovec82
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Maybe try the Hylands Calms Forte tablets. THey help fight off restlessness. Sometimes I use these when my youngest is fighting bedtime.

Quoting blessings2cum:

Hello chotovec62:

Thank you for responding. Sometimes, my son can even nodd off, but yet does not go down to sleep, so those are moments I know hey my son was sleepy, but obviously fought off taking a nap.  He can even spring back up and want to play, or get into things just after I think he is going to take a nap and still no nap.  Maybe he will be getting closer to no naps at all, who knows time will tell.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Blessings2cum

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't. My son is now 3 but he hasn't taken naps since he was about 2 yrs old. I just went with it. Obviously he doesn't need a nap or else he'd fall asleep. I put my kids to bed at 7:30 and they wake around 6:30-7 am. No naps and they are hardly ever cranky.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I never had problems with nap time. My dd seems to want to go to sleep. I just put her in her room tell her to take a quick snooze and then we will play and close the door. I hear her talking to her stuffed animlas a bit but she always makes her way to her bed and sleeps. Bedtime is another story 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I institute "quiet time" where she doesn't have to nap, but she has to stay on her bed in dim lighting where she can play quietly with one or two toys. Half the time she fell asleep on her own. Even when she didn't sleep she was recharged for the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM
My dd is on a schedule not a strict on but we have breakfast play or go to play groups read clean etc. Then lunch time and then we have stories unless shes crabby lol then I nurse her and she goes to sleep. I think it helps that I have a black out blind and she plays a lot a schedule can be a good thing :)
JealousGrrl
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I snuggle with dd on the couch and nurse her for maybe 10 minutes. Then bring her into her room and lay her down. She is sometimes really fussy, but I ignore that and ask her if she is almost done fussing and if she wants some water. Usually she will accept the water and take a nap. I sometimes also promise something such as a special snack or something but tell her she can onlyhhave it after a nap. That is usually enough to do the trick, sometimes I have to raise my voice if she is being extremely fussy. But those other two things usually work pretty well. Did turned two in may.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

GoodyBrook
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Quoting jellyphish:

I institute "quiet time" where she doesn't have to nap, but she has to stay on her bed in dim lighting where she can play quietly with one or two toys. Half the time she fell asleep on her own. Even when she didn't sleep she was recharged for the day.

We also do "quiet time."  DS1 goes to his room and has to stay there until he either falls asleep or plays quietly for 45 minutes.

(Maybe mama needs the "quiet time" more than he does?!)

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
It just depends. My younger two kids are usually wound up. They have a hard time falling asleep. They still have to be worn or nursed or in the van to fall asleep. It's pretty frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN