Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

eye gel on newborn after birth

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 24 Replies

what is it? Is it really safe, because I have heard mix reviews about.

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Erythromycin. An antibiotic eye goop. It's used to prevent infection to babies eyes from stds. I believe chlamydia and ghonoria(?)
sm12
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Not sure what the law says about this in your state on where you are having baby but we chose not to do this or vitamin k shot for my first and will again do the same for this little one bu I did have. Birth center birth.  Also both hubby and I never had any stds so it was saf to chose not to.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

They like to put it on all babies, just in case the mother has an STD.  If you don't have an STD, why bother?  We opted out with our second, because we didn't know any better with our first...  (Baby could see me rather than look through a haze of goo for a couple hours).

I typed out my newborn procedures in a section of the birth plan, and this was one of them...

swedemomma
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

We opted out with our first two and will for our lo due in Oct. We didn't see a need. 

littlemonaghan
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM
I will be opting out if the eye goop this time.
I told them no eye goop on dd but they didn't follow my instructions... They didn't follow ANY if my instructions. So glad I'm having this baby on the complete opposite side if the country
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
It's to protect against stds. I didn't have it when my birthmother gave birth to me and my eyes got infected and I almost went blind.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

As they said, it's for chlamydia or gonorrhea. If you don't have those, then your baby doesn't "need" it. If you do, or your partner does, then you can also wait until baby is showing signs of ON (the infection it prevents) and start antibiotics with the onset.  Many states will "let" you use colostrum as an alternative if you're concerned. Fun fact, Erythromycin is also an acne treatment. 

tyrelsmom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
If you don't have STDs, it's unnecessary. And I've had erythromycin for an eye infection before and that shit stings. My baby's not getting it.
JMmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, my mom uses it for acne. I thought that was weird when I found out they put it on newborn babies. We opted out.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

As they said, it's for chlamydia or gonorrhea. If you don't have those, then your baby doesn't "need" it. If you do, or your partner does, then you can also wait until baby is showing signs of ON (the infection it prevents) and start antibiotics with the onset.  Many states will "let" you use colostrum as an alternative if you're concerned. Fun fact, Erythromycin is also an acne treatment. 

buffalove23
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I've read in new York there is no opt out...is that true? Like the hospital will call cps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)