Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Questions about free birth....

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 28 Replies
I can't stand being in hospitals. They are gross and not restful. Ours demands a mandatory 48 hour stay and with each of the 3 times I've stayed after birth in this hospital I got a maximum of 1/2 hour of sleep the entire 48 hours. It's horrid. Oh and for those saying just sign out AMA, I can but they won't let me sign baby out without pediatrician approval and they conveniently dissapear until the 48 hour mark.

Anyway I'd very much like to just have baby at home this time. However in my state home birth and midwives are not legal. ( well maybe its just home births attended by midwives, not really sure, the research I did wasnt really clear). The closest birth center is too far for my fast labors.

With my last baby I labored at home for nearly the whole thing. It was fun, calm, and even though it was painful I was happy and at ease. When we got to the hospital I was very close to delivering and it was just miserable. I didn't want to be wheeled to the ob wing but I was told I had to, I didn't want to be monitored but they told me I had to lay in the bed for a mandatory 30 minutes of monitoring. The pain got so much worse the second my butt hit the bed. I know it was all mental. I was in absolute agony for the hour that was left in my labor. I feel like much of that pain was caused by the hospital setting and could be avoided if I stay at home.

My question is what do you do if you have your baby at home? I mean after baby is born do you take baby in right away to be checked out or wait until morning or what? I'd basically have to say baby 'came too fast' for me to get to the hospital. Would they admit the baby or just do a quick check and send us home?
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chucknora
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

"Accidentally" have your baby at home.  Then call the Ped you had lined up for him/her.  You can't go anywhere, you just had a baby!  If they can't come to you, see them in a couple (2) days.  If something appears wrong in any way call an ambulance.

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Won't they be 'suspicious' of a mom that accidentally gave birth at home and didn't call an ambulance or didn't want to come in right away? I don't want to send up any red flags.

You don't know how appealing it sounds to just get in a warm tub near the end of labor and just relax and focus on birth with no annoying distractions. I've had 4 babies and am very familiar with the process. My ob never does anything anyway except catch. The nurses are the obnoxious touchy ones.

Quoting chucknora:

"Accidentally" have your baby at home.  Then call the Ped you had lined up for him/her.  You can't go anywhere, you just had a baby!  If they can't come to you, see them in a couple (2) days.  If something appears wrong in any way call an ambulance.

chucknora
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

What state do you live in?

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Indiana. I looked up stuff and at first I thought just midwives were not legally allowed but CNM's were ok for home birth. Then I read an article about a certified nurse midwife that was arrested because she attended a home birth. Nothing at all went wrong with the birth or any other birth she had attended.

Quoting chucknora:

chucknora
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I'm no expert, and I make no promises.  And I'm not saying your research isn't thorugh, but maybe there's a way.  I'll do some digging and message you.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Indiana. I looked up stuff and at first I thought just midwives were not legally allowed but CNM's were ok for home birth. Then I read an article about a certified nurse midwife that was arrested because she attended a home birth. Nothing at all went wrong with the birth or any other birth she had attended.

Quoting chucknora:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Wish i knew :( homebirths are legal here.
GoodyBrook
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM

The Pedi wasn't around when I was getting discharged.  So I went to the nursery, got my baby and started walking out. 

Amazingly the Pedi was "found" and came running to discharge the baby.

You are not a prisoner.  There is a difference between the LAW and hospital policy.  They might say that it isn't allowed, but you are a paying client--NOT an inmate.

Hire a doula (often they offer their services for FREE!) and prepare your support team if you decide that you need to birth in a hospital again...

Can you cross state lines to birth in a different hospital with better policies?  Call up the L&D and ask the Charge Nurse some info...

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Do you feel secure having your baby at home? There aren't many supplies you need to do it, and there are no laws anywhere that prohibit delivering your own baby. I'm not sure about the paperwork, applying for a birth certificate and social security card, but that's all you would need. They sell the cord clamps and other equipment online. I don't remember the website, but I'll look it up in a minute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I had my baby at home on accident (he was born before our babysitter showed up). The first responders arrived within minutes of calling 911 but my son had had his head delivered before they arrived. I was transported to the hospital after ds was born but before the placenta was delivered. Call 911 after your baby is born but before you deliver the placenta- no red flags IMO- you can't help speedy labors:)
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM
The site I had been checking out was inhishands.com, but there are quite a few others that will have the same things for roughly the same prices. You aren't required to go to the hospital at all as long as you do see a pediatrician at some point. Different states have different laws about how soon a baby needs to be seen by a medical professional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN