Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I can't stand being in hospitals. They are gross and not restful. Ours demands a mandatory 48 hour stay and with each of the 3 times I've stayed after birth in this hospital I got a maximum of 1/2 hour of sleep the entire 48 hours. It's horrid. Oh and for those saying just sign out AMA, I can but they won't let me sign baby out without pediatrician approval and they conveniently dissapear until the 48 hour mark.

Anyway I'd very much like to just have baby at home this time. However in my state home birth and midwives are not legal. ( well maybe its just home births attended by midwives, not really sure, the research I did wasnt really clear). The closest birth center is too far for my fast labors.

With my last baby I labored at home for nearly the whole thing. It was fun, calm, and even though it was painful I was happy and at ease. When we got to the hospital I was very close to delivering and it was just miserable. I didn't want to be wheeled to the ob wing but I was told I had to, I didn't want to be monitored but they told me I had to lay in the bed for a mandatory 30 minutes of monitoring. The pain got so much worse the second my butt hit the bed. I know it was all mental. I was in absolute agony for the hour that was left in my labor. I feel like much of that pain was caused by the hospital setting and could be avoided if I stay at home.

My question is what do you do if you have your baby at home? I mean after baby is born do you take baby in right away to be checked out or wait until morning or what? I'd basically have to say baby 'came too fast' for me to get to the hospital. Would they admit the baby or just do a quick check and send us home?
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
RandiBear
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

That changed in May.
http://openstates.org/in/bills/2013/HB1135/  A new bill was signed into law  Here is an article about it http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-home-birth-supporters-praise-new-indiana-law-20130524,0,6331659.story  Good luck!!

Quoting norahsmommy:

I can't stand being in hospitals. They are gross and not restful. Ours demands a mandatory 48 hour stay and with each of the 3 times I've stayed after birth in this hospital I got a maximum of 1/2 hour of sleep the entire 48 hours. It's horrid. Oh and for those saying just sign out AMA, I can but they won't let me sign baby out without pediatrician approval and they conveniently dissapear until the 48 hour mark.

Anyway I'd very much like to just have baby at home this time. However in my state home birth and midwives are not legal. ( well maybe its just home births attended by midwives, not really sure, the research I did wasnt really clear). The closest birth center is too far for my fast labors.

With my last baby I labored at home for nearly the whole thing. It was fun, calm, and even though it was painful I was happy and at ease. When we got to the hospital I was very close to delivering and it was just miserable. I didn't want to be wheeled to the ob wing but I was told I had to, I didn't want to be monitored but they told me I had to lay in the bed for a mandatory 30 minutes of monitoring. The pain got so much worse the second my butt hit the bed. I know it was all mental. I was in absolute agony for the hour that was left in my labor. I feel like much of that pain was caused by the hospital setting and could be avoided if I stay at home.

My question is what do you do if you have your baby at home? I mean after baby is born do you take baby in right away to be checked out or wait until morning or what? I'd basically have to say baby 'came too fast' for me to get to the hospital. Would they admit the baby or just do a quick check and send us home?

Michaeleonfire
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Can you tell me where, in Indiana? I'm in a group of about 2,000 birthing professionals, and I'd love to find you some help. I do NOT recommend doing this at home, alone. A mother recently went to jail in Washington for an unassissted homebirth with delayed cord clamping. I'm not trying to scare you, but there can be very serious consequences. Please let me know on here, or PM if you're not comfortable!

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you applied to the CM group called Birth is Normal (BIN)?  These mamas rock and can help you know how to go about a UC (Unassisted Childbirth).

If your heart is truly there, you can do it.  Educate yourself and don't let anyone scare your away from the birth you want.

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Marshall county. The nearest birth center to my knowledge is in goshen. That's kind of far for me because I usually labor at night and my labors keep getting shorter. The last one was 4 hours start to finish.

Quoting Michaeleonfire:

Can you tell me where, in Indiana? I'm in a group of about 2,000 birthing professionals, and I'd love to find you some help. I do NOT recommend doing this at home, alone. A mother recently went to jail in Washington for an unassissted homebirth with delayed cord clamping. I'm not trying to scare you, but there can be very serious consequences. Please let me know on here, or PM if you're not comfortable!

Claughlin
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not illegal for you to have your baby at home.  It's illegal for a midwife to attend.  So you can have your baby wherever you want.  However, if you to your baby in right after birth they may try o admit baby to nicu because they say that baby is infected.  This is crap so don't let them take your baby.  

HeatherD1027
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Midwife attended homebirth IS legal in Indiana! They just passed legislation making CPMs legal too! I live in Indiana and have been following the process.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Indiana. I looked up stuff and at first I thought just midwives were not legally allowed but CNM's were ok for home birth. Then I read an article about a certified nurse midwife that was arrested because she attended a home birth. Nothing at all went wrong with the birth or any other birth she had attended.

Quoting chucknora:

What state do you live in?

Liz132
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

A new law passed this year makes it legal for midwives to attend homebirths in Indiana =) I would call around and see if you can find a homebirth midwife. You should also join BIN that group was a great help to me when I was planning my first homebirth.  

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Thank you for the comments! I didn't realize home birth midwives are now legal in indiana. I am excited! I hope I can find one that works in the area and hopefully accepts our insurance as well ( long shot but hopeful). I did email the birth center in goshen. They never did home birth before but apparently they do now. I hope to hear back from them soon.
Michaeleonfire
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm posting to the women, now! I hope I can help you find a doula or CNM to help with your SUCCESSFUL homebirth. :] I'm excited for you!

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I got a reply back from the birth center in goshen that also does home birth and they do work in my town! However they don't take our insurance. I asked what their fees were and of they offer a sliding scale. I'm waiting for a reply back. I'm betting I can't afford what they will charge :(.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)