Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Increase milk supply. **Added more information.

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought I had dried up, I haven't. What can I take/eat to increase my milk supply? 

**About 5 years ago or more, I had a breast reduction. My midwife let me know that because of the reduction I probably wouldn't produce enough milk. The first week of baby's life I did nothing but breastfeed. She seemed satisfied, at the same time she was always on my boob. When we went to way her she had lost more than 10 ounces. She went from 8 10 to 7 3. I know babies lose weight at the beginning just not this much. Midwife suggested we suppliment and pump. So I supplimented 2-3 ounces. I put her on my boob first and then feed her formula. She was gaining weight again. By the fourth week she was drinking more formula than breast milk. I would always put her on my breast first and then when she was done I would give her a bottle. She was eating four ounces of formula at the time. I was also pumping. All I could get when I pumped was 1/2 an ounce, if that much. I started pumping again last night and I'm not even getting that, but I'm not giving up again. I'm going out today to buy some fenugreek. I already have oatmeal. :) I do drink plenty of water and I will continue that. I've also started putting her back to the breast she'll latch on for a little while and then get really fussy, but I'm going to keep trying.  I didn't realize it takes months to dry up. Thank you ladies!! :)

She is now 6 weeks old.  

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (11-16):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I've been wanting that, just never knew what it was called or how to google it. Thank you! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you supplement, can you not do it with an SNS?  This seems like it would force babe to work for her meal AND give you the skin-to-skin that will promote more production...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Supplemental Nursing System...

GL!

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I've been wanting that, just never knew what it was called or how to google it. Thank you! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you supplement, can you not do it with an SNS?  This seems like it would force babe to work for her meal AND give you the skin-to-skin that will promote more production...

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I agree with using an SNS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarcrisp
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Goat's Rue

Domperidone

Fenugreek did nothing for me so I'm trying the above two with this baby; they're more 'promised'.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM

You can do it momma!

SotilSol
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I haven't read all of the replies, but have you checked to see if she's tongue-tied? Some babies can seem normal but still have that problem, and it causes latching issues.

Also, I read that dark beer increases supply. I guess you would have to pump and dump, but it might help. You might want to check it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)