Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breast feeding and pump feeding?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 22 Replies

i really want to breast feed but i dont want my boyfriend to feel left out. he wants to be able to feel the baby too. sooo im wondering if i can breastfeed and pump feed at the same time and if there are special bottles i should use, ect.

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I pumped and breastfed my boys. I did not use and special bottles and I did not have to deal with any nipple cunfusion.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You make a lot more work for yourself doing it that way and run the risk of baby developing a bottle preference which can jeopardize breastfeeding if you can't correct it.

There are plenty of ways for your boyfriend to help with the baby other than feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. For reasons stated above.
Instead he can wear baby, sleep with baby, bathe baby, play with baby, read to baby, sing to baby, and he can feed baby in six or more months when she starts solids or if you work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Dads can get involved in any area accept feeding.
Babywearing and skin to skin is huge for bonding.
Other great ways is bathing, playing, talking, dressing etc.
If your bf really wants to feed baby. You need to be absent (go shopping, get your nails done, go out to dinner with friends etc) baby can't smell/hear/know your there at all. Dad feeds slowly 1oz then burps baby and feeds the second oz slowly, burp then done. if baby is fussy keep baby distracted/busy/binky. If baby is still fussy 15-20min later dad can warm a 3rd oz and offer that....heres the catch you need to pump to make up for that missed feeding when dad is giving the bottle. It definetly is do-able but it is extra work for mom and not without the risks mentioned above.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Well heres my spin on this.  Each parent should bond in their own way and their bodn should never be interfered with by others.  Mom feeds baby if she is home/with baby; thats her bond and it should not be messed with. Dad can bond others ways.  My hubby babywears loads, he also does all changes when home.  He snuggles baby after I nurse every evening.  This formed an awesome bond for him and my 3 year old and now he prefers to snuggle with daddy for bedtime.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I had to work one day a week so I breastfed the majority of the time and the day off my dh or mom just used what I pumped. I just used the bottles that came with my pump and had no problem. Both my mom and dh loved it so much. 

I woldnt have if I didnt work only becasue I hated pumping so much.

Heymamashakeit
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Food is not love. There are tons of other ways for dad to bond. Bathing, burping, changing, rocking, holding, snuggling etc.
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM
While it's possible and just fine if that's what you want that is a lot more work and could damage your relationship with nursing if done too soon.

All my children are/have been breastfed without bottles and Daddy never felt left out and they bonded just fine. Right now I am about to get up and do some things and Daddy has my 6 week old as he's putting our 4 & 6 year olds to bed like a champ.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

You can feed on one side and pump on the other.  Then your boyfriend can feed baby next time and you can pump.  It's a lot more work but go for it if you want to do it.  There are also a lot of other ways for a father to bond.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I can count on one hand how many times my husband has fed a bottle to our FIVE children.  

He bonds in so many other ways, and has no desire to feed our children when I already have a built in system. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)