Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do you do for a cold?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 19 Replies

This probably sounds silly, but what can I do for my toddler's cold? This is the first one she's had so I've never dealt with it before (made it almost 18 months without a real illness!). She has a mild cough, her nose is stuffy and really crusty, and her eyes were crusty this morning. I've been nursing her whenever she asks and I managed to get a couple drops of bm in her nose. I really don't think I could get any in her eyes and I don't think she'll let me near her nose again. I gave her some Hyland's cold tablets for a couple days, but she had a random rash yesterday, so she might be allergic to them. I haven't taken her temperature, but she doesn't feel too warm to me. Anything else I can do for her?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Let it run its course mainly. Also steam showers, humidifier in the bedroom, a spoonful of honey for coughing...
Her temp is pretty useless info so don't worry about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I make dd warm tea to break up any conjustion (tea with cinnamon sticks water oranges and honey) it usually helps

alexareh
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I completely disagree with her temp being useless a fever can indicate an infection such as a respiratory, sinus, or even ear infection which mild colds that have congestion can lead to. 

SotilSol
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I usually make a chicken soup with lots of garlic, and make sure they get lots of vitamin C. It's been so long since I've had a child that age, though, so I'm not entirely sure if that would be good for her.

nicenround
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM

bone broth soup of some sort, and elderberry syrup.. that's my go to :o)

mjrex87
by Mindy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Let it run its course mainly. Also steam showers, humidifier in the bedroom, a spoonful of honey for coughing...

Can I give her raw honey and cinnamon? That's what I usually do for myself when I get sick and it seems to help. I don't know why I didn't think of it... I guess I wasn't sure about giving her that much all at once.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Same thing I do for myself, just stay hydrated and let it run it's course.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Oh yeah after 12 months she could have honey, that's a good idea.  Hope she feels better soon.

freemane
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

warm baths, tea with honey, back rubs, lots of fluids.  keep an eye on her nose and lips for chapping... always the worst part of a cold for me...

larissalarie
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep! I've done that for my kids when I remember about the cinnamon. As long as she's at least 12 months.

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting larissalarie:

Can I give her raw honey and cinnamon? That's what I usually do for myself when I get sick and it seems to help. I don't know why I didn't think of it... I guess I wasn't sure about giving her that much all at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)