Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pee smells like amonia

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

DD is now 10 weeks old and just yesterday and today I noticed that her wet diapers smell a little like amonia...It's not a knock-you-down kind of smell, but it's easily identifiable if you take a whiff.  She does not have a fever, she's peeing regularly, and she's ebf.  She's been having TERRIBLE gas issues that just break my heart, so we've taken her cloth diaper off of her during her fits thinking that I hate wearing tight pants if I have gas, so it couldn't be helping her any...the point of that was to explain that i've seen her pee several times today and the actual act of peeing doesn't seem to bother her at all. 

Just wondering if I need to take action on this amonia smell, if it's an indicator for something??  With the gas as bad as it is, I just can't bear the thought of her having something else hurting her too...

Thanks for your help ladies!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Are you using cloth diapers?
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh just seen you said cloth diaper. It's probably build up on your diapers, and nothing to do with your baby :)
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I woudl strip yoru cloth diapers and see if its still there

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like your not effectively washing the diapers causing build up.

I would strip them and change your wash routine.

What is your wash routine and what kind of detergent are you using?
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yep my guess was the diapers.

As for the gas issues, have you tried eliminating food from your diet to see if that's the cause of the gas in little one?

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I use homemade detergent (washing soda, natural oxygen bleach, and dr. bronner's soap), and I wash every other day - sometimes every day.  I sun dry. 

I haven't stripped the diapers just yet - suggestions on how to do that?

Thank you!

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The gas is really breaking my heart... I'm a strict vegetarian, no dairy and no eggs either.  I'm not sure what to start with in my diet since I haven't changed anything.  She will have maybe two spells a day where she is just crying so bad to try and get it out.  She's marathon nurser and there doesn't seem to be any specific time of day for the fit either...

Quoting funhappymom:

Yep my guess was the diapers.

As for the gas issues, have you tried eliminating food from your diet to see if that's the cause of the gas in little one?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Do you have a large milk supply? usually gas is not ccaused by diet it caused by the air baby is taking in, usually from oversupply OR tongue te/bad latch

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I'm going to guess that i don't.  I never leak and the only time I ever feel like they are a little full in when she wakes up after her long stretch (4-5 hous max).  I don't have any idea how i would know if she has a tie, but her latch seems fine to me.  :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Do you have a large milk supply? usually gas is not ccaused by diet it caused by the air baby is taking in, usually from oversupply OR tongue te/bad latch

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about your diet yet just strip the diapers and see if that helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)