Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

changing kids diet

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone! So when ds1 was little i didnt know very much about nutrition and while i wanted him to eat healthy i wasnt on top of it. Anyway hes now 3 1/2 and hardly eats anything but when he does eat its snacking on things like goldfish, fruitsnacks and chocolate milk and he will only eat mac n cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and pb & j sandwhiches. I have done as best i can switching the crap to atleast organic crap like annies bunnies, fruit snacks and mac n cheese and almond chocolate milk. the only fruit he will eat is a banana but thats few and far between. the biggest problem is he is just not an eater and sometimes even refuses the stuff i know he likes. i really want him to eat better but i dont know how to get him to. i have done the 'have him help me shop and cook' thing, he couldnt care less. The only thing i am thinkin is just to take everything away and only offer him certain foods but i know that is a long battle and i'm not sure if its the best way. Do any of you have any advice or have been through this battle yourself? thanks ladies!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Introduce new stuff that's healthy. Like dried fruit and home made fruit smoothies with kale or spinach hidden in them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Representative on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

My kids all eat pretty well. I have no suggestions for you. Sorry :(

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Get rid of all the crap and start making food from scratch, he will whine, get mad and throw fits for a few days, but keep strong and keep feeding him healthy foods, he is detoxing, that food is addicting, just try to make it fun, check bento box on amazon there are many cute ideas, hard boil an egg and shape it like a fish, make pancakes (from scratch with unbleached or whole wheat flour) shaped like mikie mouse, pbj is ok if you use organic everything, make your own nuggets, grilled cheese with sliced tomato, avocado and uncured bacon, etc....it might be stressful at the beginning but keep strong, and don't forget that a candy once in a while is ok, they are kids, and kids love candies, I actually give them fruit snacks, like once a week telling them it's candy... Because that's what they are, candies, not fruit! 

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

^^ this. it will be hard at first to break the addicitons, but honestly they wont starve themselves and will eventually eat what is given.  my daughter is a pasta addict but its hard on her gut so I give her brown rice pasta with pesto sauce with veggies mixed in annd she loves it. I can also hide veggies and beans in quesadillas. I find when she helps me cook she will eat anything.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Toddlers survive on mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and air is the joke I always tell.  Its strange how our kids will refuse foods we know they love.

We just stopped buying the junk and that was the only way to get my guy to prefer them, its like junk food had crack in it and was addictive

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Just start changing the foods that you buy.  That's what my sister did.  She said they kept complaining about the food and it was very hard but after about a year they finally stopped asking for other foods and started liking what she was buying.  Yes it took a whole year, be prepared.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I would just stop buying the stuff. It will be a fight but if you stick to it it won't take too long to get him with the program. The only other thing that can cause a kid to be a very picky eater is sensory problems. I didn't encourage healthy eating very well with my oldest kid but she always fought me and wanted the same foods all the time. We had to fight her at 4 to eat any meat on the bone and eat the meals we were cooking. I finally got strict with her and made her eat other foods but it was full blown knock down drag out with her for years. It turns out she has sensory processing problems and was only eating chicken nuggets, hot dogs, baloney, and other gross stuff because it was all she could stand texture wise. Hopefully your son will just get used to it over time and you won't have to fight him for forever!

Autumn355
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

ya he is ASD and so i know it has a little to do with that and honestly food is his only issue. Other than that he just seems like he may have a speech delay. He really just seems like a typical kid about the food though. Breakfast is pretty good. he will eat eggs and pancakes and i make the pancakes from scratch and add hemp protein powder chia seeds and ground flax seeds. i want him to drink some real juice, like juiced apples and then i can hide carrots and stuff in it but he wont. his behavior consultant told me to mix the juiced apple with store bought apple juice and then slowly fade out the store bought stuff. I think i will do that. thanks

Quoting jconney80:

I would just stop buying the stuff. It will be a fight but if you stick to it it won't take too long to get him with the program. The only other thing that can cause a kid to be a very picky eater is sensory problems. I didn't encourage healthy eating very well with my oldest kid but she always fought me and wanted the same foods all the time. We had to fight her at 4 to eat any meat on the bone and eat the meals we were cooking. I finally got strict with her and made her eat other foods but it was full blown knock down drag out with her for years. It turns out she has sensory processing problems and was only eating chicken nuggets, hot dogs, baloney, and other gross stuff because it was all she could stand texture wise. Hopefully your son will just get used to it over time and you won't have to fight him for forever!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I would start by switching the stuff he likes to a healthy version. Does he like to help you cook. My dd always eats more when she helps make it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN