Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Moby wraps vs ring slings

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 25 Replies
Which do you prefer and why? I plan on making my own for dd due in November. Has anyone ever made their own? For the ring sling did you use the sew or no sew method? I am new to baby wearing as I was never able to wear ds comfortably. I am short (4 ft 10in) and we had one of the ones you buckle on from Walmart and it didn't fit me right at all. I am hoping one of these other 2 wraps will work better for me.
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I love my moby with a passion.  I can still wear my 3 year old comfortably in it. 

rjmac88
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I LOVE ring slings. They are so easy to use and the weigt limit is way higher than the moby. I make my own. I sew them
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM
If I don't sew it I could use the same piece of fabric for the moby and the ring sling couldn't I?
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I loved my ring sling with my newbie I've never been a real moby fan.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I use a scarf as a sling (no ring, I just tie it). I prefer my wrap because I didn't like having all of the baby's weight on one side, I felt lopsided. For the first few months I only used my sling when I was going to be out and about where I'd be taking my wrap off because I hadn't gotten used to tying it on.
Now I like my woven wrap, although it is very plain and ugly looking. I'm going to dye it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
You could use the same fabric, but not the same piece of fabric. The lengths are very different. My wrap is 6 yards (I only need 5, but I'm too lazy to cut it) and my sling is less than five feet. It's shorter than me, but not sure exactly how long it is.
You could get 7 yards of fabric and make both.

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

If I don't sew it I could use the same piece of fabric for the moby and the ring sling couldn't I?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Quoting polkaspots:

Did you use knit for your wrap? I am sure I can find 7 yards of fabric on clearance and make both for a lot cheaper than buying even one of the carriers.
hello_kitty25
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I prefer the ring sling, my Moby always gets dirty touching the ground when I'm trying to put it on. And my dd had more freedom in the ring sling

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM
My stretchy wrap isn't knit, it's some meshy polyester or something. I got it extremely cheap at Walmart. I think the wrap I use now is linen? I'm not sure, I ordered it online over a year ago. Knit would work though, but only for a few months since you really shouldn't use stretchy for kids over 20lbs.

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Quoting polkaspots:

Did you use knit for your wrap? I am sure I can find 7 yards of fabric on clearance and make both for a lot cheaper than buying even one of the carriers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting polkaspots:

Thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)