Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

homeschooling starts at the boob, written by my friend

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just wanted to share with you, but first I wanted to say that I DO NOT believe that babies wean before a year old. Some may be more into solids, and so nursing may have to be initiated more, and some babies not.  I think her personal testimony just shows that each child is different and unique, and as parents we will learn to understand our children as they grow and mature.  I believe my friend has a lot of wisdom to offer as well, so I hope that her words of wisdom are encouraging to all you moms, as your children grow :)

Our daughter nursed for just 7 months and will likely homeschool through high school. Our son nursed for 4½ years and we just finished his first day of a traditional high school.

It’s all about the launch. We do our part - THEY will tell you what God intends for them....

John-John was not ready to stop nursing any of the 7 times we tried to wean him. We had the wise counsel of others to LISTEN to him. UGH... 4½ years was hard!

We tried to keep Lindsey nursing for at least a year. She had her first taste of solid food and said, “I don’t think so sister, this is MUCH easier… hand over that spoon!” No matter what I did, she was just no longer interested in the boob – too much work.

My theory –HOMESCHOOLING STARTED ON THE BOOB.

What I’ve learned:
1. Focus on Character not curriculum. (Relationship at a young age pays off)
2. Cultivate an atmosphere of Honesty, then you develop a trust relationship and it’s natural to let them go to become independent
3. Hard working - then they work on their own
4. Field trips, field trips, field trips.
5. Fun, Fun, Fun.
6. Love on them to the ends of the earth and have wide, and VERY concrete, consistent boundaries.
7. Rules without relationship = Rebellion
8. Lesson from Oprah: The first moment you see your child every morning, celebrate them and love on them.
9. Quantity vs. quality. If you have quantity, the quality times will happen
10. Mommy Day Off – Early marriage days we counseled with Nan & Dave Dhuet. As a homeschooling mom, they recommended a “Mommy Day Off.” Best advice for our kids, and our marriage.

Our daughter (2nd born) was in the car seat so much that the back of her hair didn’t grow-out until after her 3rd birthday. What’s homeschool? We did car school.

So, truth be known… I guess we never covered “California History”… not in 4th grade… or any other time. And we’re 100% fine with that. Here’s our jumping point for California history: Heading south on the 5 passing Junipero Serra (on the way to the yearly Sea World field trip). That starts the conversation about the missions. Just like you homeschooling moms, right?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It's very good, thanks for sharing!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

welcome :)

Quoting Sarah725:

It's very good, thanks for sharing!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I totally agree with it all..except that babies do not wean at 7 months.  You can allow a nursing strike to be a weaning but its technically not weaning.  I dont have many "rules" but with nursing my rule is til one is not an option of the childs.  Proper nutrition is not an option

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Love it!! I do agree with Tabitha. But my hubby and I are natural unschoolers. It just comes natural to me when being with my kids. We are always going off on field trips. This is our first year doing traditional homeschool and I'm really excited just because my kids love learning and I'm coming at them with an unschool approach!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Child led :)

Quoting jconney80:

Love it!! I do agree with Tabitha. But my hubby and I are natural unschoolers. It just comes natural to me when being with my kids. We are always going off on field trips. This is our first year doing traditional homeschool and I'm really excited just because my kids love learning and I'm coming at them with an unschool approach!

swedemomma
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My first self weaned at 11 mo. I called the breastfeeding clinic, because I was so sad and not ready for him to quit nursing. Then as a first time Mom I did what I thought was right amd pumped and he drank it from a cup. Now I would find different support and keep at it longer to get him to try and nurse again.

I do agree with the points she made in her list.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
tfs
Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
What is tfs?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

tfs

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing

Quoting Precious333:

What is tfs?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

tfs

Chillisarah
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This is really special thanks for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN