Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

The microwave post made me wonder

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 16 Replies

I've been considering getting rid of the microwave for a long time but we re-heat our leftovers in the microwave.

There are just some things I don't know how to reheat on the stove like mashed potatoes, meats, etc. How do I reheat them without them getting dried out on the stove?

I guess I could add more milk/butter to the potatoes but what about the meats?

Am I just really overthinking this?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Magnolia7
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We use a combo of the toaster oven and a pan on the stove.  When I put something in the toaster oven I just put it in as is.  For most things on the stove I just pour a little water from the tea kettle into whatever I'm cooking and it comes out great. 

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting Magnolia7:

We use a combo of the toaster oven and a pan on the stove.  When I put something in the toaster oven I just put it in as is.  For most things on the stove I just pour a little water from the tea kettle into whatever I'm cooking and it comes out great. 

Thanks. We don't have a toaster oven-we did once upon a time but got rid of it. I'll have to start being more aware of what I use the microwave for and try to use the stove more often.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

toaster oven is a good idea!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I'm thinking about getting rid of ours too

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I heat on the stovetop or in the oven.  If I heat meat on the stovetop, I add some coconut oil and/or butter.  If I put it in the oven, I add some water.  Mashed potatoes can be reheated on the stove or in the oven, too.

JackandJayne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

No, I agree. I've done my best via baby steps to ease away from the microwave. There is some info online but mainly, according to portion size it's going to have to take some experimenting lol. Eventually you'll get it down pat like our mothers and grandmothers and just eyeball and know how long or what to add. Get yourself some good crock/casserole glassware with glass lids to keep moisture in.

And good for you!

EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I haven't had a microwave in almost six years and I laugh every time someone comes over and looks at me like I have five heads for not owning one. For the first few years I made do with just the stovetop and oven but last year I splurged and got a fancy little toaster oven with options to toast, bake, broil, reheat, defrost, and a few other options and I LOVE that thing. It was only a $60 investment and so worth it especially if you're trying to wean from the microwave. They use less electricity than a full size over and best of all no preheating. I started using it for everything from reheating my coffee to baking a casserole. I barely touch my full size oven anymore unless its to bake something large. Living sans microwave is an adjustment but it doesn't take long before you forget you ever had one.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I hate my microwave. Dh refuses to give it up for the same reasons you state. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I heat most things on the stove. For meat I usually cut it up and do it in a pan on the stove top
housewifehell
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I got rid of mine about 8 months ago and I thought my DH would have a hard time but its really easy once you get started. I use a non stick pan with a lid to reheat everything and I havent had anything turn out dry or overly mushy (because of the lid)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)