Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Toddlers having nightmares

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son just turned two and he started having nightmares. :(
He will start thrashing and crying and get this super sad look on his face.
Well it went on for hours last night :( once I started rubbing his head and talking to him it would stop but once I fell back asleep it would start up again.
It makes me so sad. I hope he is not having nightmares about medical stuff (he is disabled and gets invasive medical procedures more often that I would like but it saves his life :/)
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I was at a kids museum recently and there was a whole dream exhibit. It basically said kids have nightmares when they are stressed. But it sounds like you may not be able to remove the stressor. But you can calm him down with snuggles and rub his feet with a massage blend. I would make a blend with lavender, orange and vetiver oils in a carrier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I agree with this! I wokld.cuddle and massage my kids when they had nightmares. Gaurnium oil (?) May also be a good one to use.

Quoting jellyphish:

I was at a kids museum recently and there was a whole dream exhibit. It basically said kids have nightmares when they are stressed. But it sounds like you may not be able to remove the stressor. But you can calm him down with snuggles and rub his feet with a massage blend. I would make a blend with lavender, orange and vetiver oils in a carrier.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I just checked my aromatherapy for children book and it suggested ylang ylang as well, great for nervous tension and stress. And it smells better than vetiver. I'd use ylang ylang and orange, I wouldn't skip the orange because its great for promoting restful sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkiebut
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Awesome THX ladies!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Aww poor guy! Hope it stops soon =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Ds has been waking up every night for the past week with a nigtmare. e starts yelling no in his sleep and then wakes up crying. I cuddle him and as long as I keep olding him he sleeps fine. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Hugs, that must be hard to deal with. Maybe bedsharing would help?

Monkiebut
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM
We do bed share, have since he was born :/ even bed share while he is in the hospital (which they HATE but it calms him down).

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Hugs, that must be hard to deal with. Maybe bedsharing would help?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

My guys had nightmares around that age because they really could start remembering their experiences more.  Its like their dreams became more realistic or something.  It passed after a few months.  Poor baby

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Does he ever fully wake up or he just thrashes around?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN