Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Homeschooling schedule and night shifts...need advice/imput.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

So here's the story. My husband was recently put on night shift (8pm-9am). I will be homeschooling our dd this year (kindergarten) and trying to figure out what kind of schedule we should have. I almost think it would be beneficial to do an afternoon schedule vs a traditional morning one bc my hubby is only home and awake between 9:30 and 11:30 and I'd like to be able to focus on the family spending time together then, instead of being bound to schoolwork. So I guess I was thinking doing something like a 12-5 block instead of a 9-2/3 that I was planning before. The bonus would be that there would be less noise and commotion in the afternoon since we'd be mainly doing quiet work. What do you all think? If you were in my position, would you still do a traditional school schedule during the days or not? Do you see any problems with this idea?

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Whatever works for you

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

the beauty of homeschooling is you do what works with your family. from the sounds of it afternoon school would work best for you. 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We do a bit of both here. Some mornings I wake up, and I just want to sit around and sip my coffee, so those days we start studies (kindergarten/1st & preK/kindergarten) after lunch. Some mornings I wake up peppy and we go from 9 to 12. The beauty of homeschool is you can do whatever works best for you and your child. Also it can take a LOT less time than public school since you don't have to teach 20 kids and plan potty breaks and meals and snacks for that many. :) We're done with math, science, reading/phonics/craft/what day it is/the pledge/go over our addy and phone number/and talk about what we did yesterday all in about 3-4 hours, whereas the same curriculum at the local schools is about 8a-3p. We even do some on the weekends if the kids as for it. Anyway you can do it is perfect. :) 

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Baby3 (2013). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

BaileysMom9
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Thank you Mary, your reply is so encouraging! I've really been stressing over schedules and how rigid or lax we should be with when we start and so on. That helped a lot.

How are you dong btw? Coming up on your due date soon aren't yoou?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

We do a bit of both here. Some mornings I wake up, and I just want to sit around and sip my coffee, so those days we start studies (kindergarten/1st & preK/kindergarten) after lunch. Some mornings I wake up peppy and we go from 9 to 12. The beauty of homeschool is you can do whatever works best for you and your child. Also it can take a LOT less time than public school since you don't have to teach 20 kids and plan potty breaks and meals and snacks for that many. :) We're done with math, science, reading/phonics/craft/what day it is/the pledge/go over our addy and phone number/and talk about what we did yesterday all in about 3-4 hours, whereas the same curriculum at the local schools is about 8a-3p. We even do some on the weekends if the kids as for it. Anyway you can do it is perfect. :) 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
With a kindergartner you dont need more than a few.hours to do school. I tend to split up our schedule too wity breaks and free time..dh always worked night shifts for a while so we planned for stuff later in the day so we could have family time when dh was home. See how the day flows with afternoon school and if not you can.always.switch things around too. You got this mama!
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I highly doubt you'll need 5 hours a day, first of all. When we were doing online public school at home for my then middle school child, we didn't even need 5 hours a day, it was more like 2 hours most days.

Your plan sounds great, the beauty of homeschooling is you do what works for your family.
My husband also works overnights and we still did school first thing in the morning. But that's because of my personality, I prefer to get everything done as soon as possible and not leave it for later if I don't have to wait. Also doing school while he was awake was helpful if I needed a hand with the little kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I think having a routine has been helpful (first we do the pledge, then calendars, then address and phone number, then reading/phonics, then math, and do on) but as for a schedule, we just do what feels better that day. I'll be honest most of the time it's mornings, but there are just some days where I'm not up to it lately.

I'm doing pretty good. UP monitoring is still all normal and boring. Yay!! :) I'm still measuring about 4-5 wks ahead. "Due" a month from tomorrow so things are getting heavy and uncomfy. Not too much longer! :)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Thank you Mary, your reply is so encouraging! I've really been stressing over schedules and how rigid or lax we should be with when we start and so on. That helped a lot.

How are you dong btw? Coming up on your due date soon aren't yoou?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM
I agree with what everyone else said. You won't need that much time for kindergarten. I definitely agree that having a consistent routine (order that you do things) matters more than when you do it. If it works better to do it in the afternoon then do it then! It's totally up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
This is my first year doing traditional HS and some nights my kids don't sleep at all so I know I won't be able to do it in the morning. I really don't like it that we will probably do it later but we have to do what works for each family. I'm sure I'll have to adjust each day accordingly but I know I'll always do it in a certain order regardless of the time. That way they know what to expect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Yeah, I know she won't be actually doing schoolwork for 5 hrs.... I guess it'd probably be more like 1pm-4 or 5pm.  And I should have clarified that I was including break time for everyone to have a snack and play.  That's going to be really important in our house since all 4 of our kids are under 6. 

Thank you for the imput though.  I really struggle with scheduling myself everyday.  I think it's important though as everyone has said to do our work in the same order every day, that way she has that consistency in her routine.  I think we will do afternoons.... I just see it working better. 

Quoting larissalarie:

I highly doubt you'll need 5 hours a day, first of all. When we were doing online public school at home for my then middle school child, we didn't even need 5 hours a day, it was more like 2 hours most days.

Your plan sounds great, the beauty of homeschooling is you do what works for your family.
My husband also works overnights and we still did school first thing in the morning. But that's because of my personality, I prefer to get everything done as soon as possible and not leave it for later if I don't have to wait. Also doing school while he was awake was helpful if I needed a hand with the little kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)