Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birth Control

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 41 Replies
Anyone ever use the paraguard iud? I'm currently using the mini pill for the last month and want to try something different. I know I had a bad experience with the mirena but am hoping its different. Thoughts?? I'm breast feeding (baby is 11 weeks) and don't want anything to affect my supply.
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I was considering paraguard after going off of the mini pill (had been on it for 18 months). I have decided the paraguard is not right for me. We are going to stick to condoms and tracking my cycles for awhile until we feel ready for permanent birth control (we have 3 kids).
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I would highly suggest that you stop all commercial birth control and do fertility awareness and track and use condoms, i recommend buy Taking Charge Of You Fertility and reading it. All commercial birth control have side effect. 

I had paragard for less then a year and HAD to have it removed due to copper toxicity which I am still dealing with and I concieved and micarried with it. It was the worst thing I could have done for my body and may very well have bigger fertility issues then I already had. My periods last for at least two weeks at a time and I would soak through a heavy overnight pad and super tampon in a few hours. I had cramps to the point that my fiance would find me in the fetal position on the floor due to the pain. The toxicity I got from it caused so many problems including my hair falling out in handfuls daily. I mean there is are so many things that an IUD can do to you including moving out of position or coming completely out and some women have to have them surgically removed due to them embedding into the uterus or even going through the uterus into the abdomin area. 

Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I have paragaurd. I love it! But I stopped bfind a year ago :/ it's non hormonal so it should be fine.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My friend just had it put in a hates it. She is always in pain and bleeds really heavy.

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Paragard is ok for breastfeeding because it's non hormonal (unlike mirena). I will only use nfp or condoms personally though.

3kidz123
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope! I thought about it but there are bad things with all chemical and forign object birth controls. I'm pregnant now but when I have the baby we plan to use comdoms. Technically a condom is a forign object tothe body but much safer than having a copper implant in you.

My husband might get snipped at some point but it will be at least 6 months after the birth if he does so for us condoms and pull out meathod (pull out of course used only with condoms).

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Oh thank you. I already have and read that book. I honestly don't see myself doing nfp as a option. It's just not for me. My husband and I are not having anymore kids anyway so I need a option that is more likely to work then fail. Since I'm breast feeding I can't use what I would usually use which is nuva ring.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

I would highly suggest that you stop all commercial birth control and do fertility awareness and track and use condoms, i recommend buy Taking Charge Of You Fertility and reading it. All commercial birth control have side effect. 

I had paragard for less then a year and HAD to have it removed due to copper toxicity which I am still dealing with and I concieved and micarried with it. It was the worst thing I could have done for my body and may very well have bigger fertility issues then I already had. My periods last for at least two weeks at a time and I would soak through a heavy overnight pad and super tampon in a few hours. I had cramps to the point that my fiance would find me in the fetal position on the floor due to the pain. The toxicity I got from it caused so many problems including my hair falling out in handfuls daily. I mean there is are so many things that an IUD can do to you including moving out of position or coming completely out and some women have to have them surgically removed due to them embedding into the uterus or even going through the uterus into the abdomin area. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I have used the Paragard IUD twice, I like it alot, I had no issues with it

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
That's what I'm doing now and it's driving me nuts. Which is why I want to change

Quoting bloomsr:

I was considering paraguard after going off of the mini pill (had been on it for 18 months). I have decided the paraguard is not right for me. We are going to stick to condoms and tracking my cycles for awhile until we feel ready for permanent birth control (we have 3 kids).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)