Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Behavior modification chart -PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
My 7 yr old will NOT stop complaining/ whining/ being rude. We have tried all sorts of things over the hard but I'm fed up!

I need ideas for a behavior modification chart JUST for those things. She has a rewards chart for daily things like wearing her glasses we also have a chart for punishment that is for anything (you get 2 warnings than a timeout, on your 3rd time out you are grounded).
I'm looking for something that is just for her complaining/ whining/ being rude. I've tried a rewards chart for it but it failed. I want a punishment chart but I need some ideas!
Visuals would be great!
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-15):
Monkiebut
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Ill look into that thx!
It's not that the other charts don't work, it's that the frequency of this bahavior is so often that she gets discouraged VERY fast and shuts down.

Quoting jconney80:

If she isn't responding to rewards I think you should look into some ABA therapy styles. Applied Behavior Analysis. Basically you need something she can see right away. I've seen a lot of kids respond better to that and I'm trying it with my kids. My oldest does not respond to rewards or punishments. She needs something so immediate that she can see. I know you can look up ABA token charts and see how they work. Basically you do activities with them and give them a token on their chart for each task they complete then you reward them after they have so many. So you could try to modify it how you need it. 

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I have do ne this with my son when he was younger. True he really needed it beign that he is on the spectrum but it really does work.  Another thing I found that works for him now that he is 12 is the 123 Magic.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1377696487893#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=123%20magic&sprefix=123+ma%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A123%20magic

Quoting jconney80:

If she isn't responding to rewards I think you should look into some ABA therapy styles. Applied Behavior Analysis. Basically you need something she can see right away. I've seen a lot of kids respond better to that and I'm trying it with my kids. My oldest does not respond to rewards or punishments. She needs something so immediate that she can see. I know you can look up ABA token charts and see how they work. Basically you do activities with them and give them a token on their chart for each task they complete then you reward them after they have so many. So you could try to modify it how you need it. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I would do.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I wouldn't respond to the whinning. Act as if shes not even talking.
If shes rude or complaining have her repeat her thought in an appropiate manner.
Extra work on her part not yours

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM

This is a good point, if I will make a chart for listening or something  I will have to make sure I also have a good behavior chart as well.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My mind keeps going back to education courses where it's stressed to reward good behavior rather than punish bad.  Soon, "they" say, the student will choose to behave rather than misbehave if they know that there's something to look forward to...

But I'm not a parent of kiddos the age of yours--yet...

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I tell my 5 yr old I can't hear her when she whines. It usually stops the whining. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)