Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you move from crib to toddler bed or big bed?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 15 Replies

At what age do you move from a crib to a toddler bed/big bed?

Or if you bedshare, is there an age when you move them to their own bed?

My little one will be 18 months soon. We're debating the move to a toddler bed soon but may hold off until Christmas, we're not sure yet. With our two older ones, we moved them right around a year to a toddler bed and they transitioned well.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM
My daughter was almost three. I had to wait until she stopped standing up in her sleep. She used to stand up and walk to the bottom bars and just stay there. We waited a few moths after she stopped to make sure she wouldn't fall off her bed. Ds is 18 months now and sleeps in a twin sized bed by himself, but only for the first half of the night. He comes in with me when he wakes up to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I started when she could climb out of her crib. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Argh I typed a whole response to this and it didnt post!!

Generally we change the crib to a toddler bed around 18 month, our kiddo that slept with us didnt move to the toddler bed full time til 3 and still climbs in bed with us sometimes

nikzup03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM
At about 18 months we introduce a twin bed. I don't like toddler beds as you can't lay in bed with them and read books or comfort or nurse them to sleep. We basically just start reading books in the twin then after they fall asleep (If I'm still awake...lol) go back to my own bed. It's usually still awhile before try stay there all night and all the time. But that's how we start the transition
nikzup03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Standing in her sleep. How awkward was that to find the first time that happened? I guess that would be like sleep walking.

Quoting polkaspots:

My daughter was almost three. I had to wait until she stopped standing up in her sleep. She used to stand up and walk to the bottom bars and just stay there. We waited a few moths after she stopped to make sure she wouldn't fall off her bed. Ds is 18 months now and sleeps in a twin sized bed by himself, but only for the first half of the night. He comes in with me when he wakes up to nurse.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I moved my first when her crib was recalled for killing babies. I don't trust cribs anymore. She didn't want to come to my bed for a while, so she went in a twin before age two. She eventually decided to come back to my bed, but I had to move her out when I was pregnant again, around age four. Now at six she still comes to sleep with me and little sis on occasion.
My 16 mo has never even seen a crib. She's in my bed and will move out when she's ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Depends on the childs personality.  2 of my kids I put them in a twin size bed at 2yrs old, one child I put in a twin size bed at 3yrs old.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

with my oldest it was on his 2nd birthday and we plan on doing the same with our 19 month old but every child is different so we will see

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I moved my son out of the sidecarred crib when he was 19 months old because his baby sister was about to be born. I still haven't transitioned my youngest yet and I'm just going to see how it goes. She doesn't sleep and if she wakes up and I'm not right there she's up for hours.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
It was extremely awkward. Her crib was in my room and I went to go to bed one night and she was just standing there at the foot of the crib silently with her eyes closed. I put her back down and she was fine. The next day I tied little bells to a string and I started putting them where on the bar after she went to sleep at night so they would wake me up and I could put her back down. It lasted almost two years before she just stopped doing it. Her doctor simply said to not take her out of the crib yet, because she clearly wasn't ready for it.

Quoting nikzup03:

Standing in her sleep. How awkward was that to find the first time that happened? I guess that would be like sleep walking.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)