Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it physiologically safe to start using a bumbo seat? My three month old hates laying down and loves to sit. When can I let her use it?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Replies (11-16):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I read this article on it a while back. Both my DDs used one at about 4 months, but I didn't like it too much, so I passed theirs on to other family members. Then again, I'm not too much of a fan of most baby equipment. I don't think minimal use would hurt too much though. Some people really overuse them though *cough, my SIL, cough* lol ;) 

taeray
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I wear her a lot too.  I want it more for times like when big sister wants to "play" with her.  It's a lot easier to block two year old assaults if I have two hands free instead of one hand holding baby.

Quoting jconney80:

I really don't think they're good for kids because they are putting them in a position their bodies can't really handle before they're ready for it. It's probably one of those things where if you don't use it often then it won't hurt anything but if it were me I wouldn't bother to use it again. I always wore my kids.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Never had one but want one
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I have heard the bumbo can hinder or hurt the developing spine but really my kiddo is never in there more than 5 min at a time once or twice a day so I dont see how
Quoting taeray:

How come?  I worry about development hinderance, but I don't know if there's any research into that.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

In my opinion, they aren't a good idea ever.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the bumbo is much like other things such as a jumper/walker - they aren't "good" for baby but used for short periods of time - they're ok.

Sometimes ds just wanted to play and wasn't ok being worn, or I had to hurry up for work and get something done and he would go in his little walker/exersaucer type thing. I've never just put him in there for it to take my place as his care giver/mother, but I have put him in there when he wanted to play with toys but I needed to take a shower.

5-10 minutes a few times a week shouldn't hurt anything IMO. Yes, I may have people say I'm wrong, but sometimes you need to do what you need to do. Ds LOVES his because it's like a special treat to play in there. But now? He's sitting great and plays well, if I need to shower he goes in his play pen and gets a few toys. He can lay down if he wants or sit up, since he was 6months old. :)

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I read some articles about them awhile back but don't have them saved. I feel like they put baby into an unnatural position for their age and you're better off holding or wearing them.

Quoting taeray:

How come?  I worry about development hinderance, but I don't know if there's any research into that.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

In my opinion, they aren't a good idea ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)