Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

those who are on special diets... (paleo, vegan, gluten-free, etc.)

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 38 Replies

What do you do when you travel out of town or visit family for holidays/events? Do you help plan the menu, buy food when you get there, break your diet temporarily? How does your familiy respond to your eating habits?

My mom's "love language" is cooking and she's growing increasingly frustrated that I can't or won't eat many of the dishes she loves to cook that I grew up eating. She's annoyed but understanding of our no-dairy because of DS2's sensitivity, but doesn't understand things like not wanting to eat wheat and avoiding sugar. And she's not excited about me helping with the menu either.

I'm trying to come up with a good way to explain why our new eating habits are important and how I can be sensitive to her love of cooking but prevent (more) conflict during our visits, when she isn't interested in trying new recipes that fit our dietary requirements.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Fortunately for me, my in-laws are vegan and we stay with them, so no issues there. When we are at my parents, we sometimes eat a little more vegetarian. I've had cookies with milk and eggs. When family comes to my house, I only cook vegan meals. My mom is also a huge baker, but she does a great job of trying to accommodate us. If she's making enchiladas she always makes one vegan batch, or if she's making soups or other things she'll set our portions aside before she adds meat. It hasn't really been an issue for us.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

my dd is gluten free and my family has been really good at being sensitive to that. but as far as family events I definalty break my eating habits becasue my hubby and I prefer to eat organic or gmo/chemical free and there is no way we would be able to eat anything at my dads house. My mom on the other hand eats like us so its much easier

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Dh is paleo so i try and makes paleo friendly meals, the kids and i just try and eat whole, fresh real foods. We are also on wic, so we dont everything out.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I just eat what I can. Skip the casseroles and eat meat and veggies only, that kind of thing. I'm not incredibly strict about paleo, so I wouldn't mind cheating for a weekend. All in moderation, in my opinion. I do bring something we can eat, like a salad to serve to the group. So, say my family cooks steak and potatoes and corn, I'd eat the steak with salad and avocado oil and skip the potatoes and corn.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I don't expect anyone to cater to me, so I just bring my own stuff and/or shop when I get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
It's a bummer she isn't supportive. To me that speaks to her own insecurities.
I don't really have any advice because my close family has always been really supportive of my dietary choices/needs. And for larger gatherings I came prepared not to eat or brought my own.

To answer the question though: My vegetarian & dairy free years it was a 100% kinda thing so I stuck to it even when away from home and my family was super accommodating (although they would tease some for the vegetarian thing, lol)
Now I'm only strictly gluten free and I will stray from that and my other preferences at times when away from home, but that's my own choice not lack of accommodation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swedemomma
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I have Celiacs so I must be 100% gluten free with no contamination. My immeiate family has become much more aware now than when I started 3yrs ago. I feel safe eating with them, but they still have me get y food first. We have 10 kids between my sisters and I, so it's hard for food to not get contaminated if we have anything with gluten out. For any other gatherings I bring my own food. 

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I am strict about sticking to the vegan eating even when I'm away from home. No one else in the family is even vegetarian... While most of my family are nice about it, they also roll their eyes a bit too. I don't ask for any special accommodations, but I am a huge baker so I almost always volunteer to bring a few things and I always make sure that I turn one favorite recipe into a vegan one and just don't tell people!! Last year I did our sweet potato casserole, and biscuits with cranberry apple butter! All of it was vegan and they loved it! My master plan is to slowly win them over! My brother in law us already addicted to my chocolate chip cookies and requests them!!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I understand that's her love language, I love cooking for other people.  How can she not try new recipes thought, that is hard.  I'm not sure what to do then.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I host holidays at my house and cook the meals. I cook mains that we all eat. Then I make sides and two versions of desserts or sides. I ask them to bring dishes they eat and like. It works out great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)