Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

those who are on special diets... (paleo, vegan, gluten-free, etc.)

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you do when you travel out of town or visit family for holidays/events? Do you help plan the menu, buy food when you get there, break your diet temporarily? How does your familiy respond to your eating habits?

My mom's "love language" is cooking and she's growing increasingly frustrated that I can't or won't eat many of the dishes she loves to cook that I grew up eating. She's annoyed but understanding of our no-dairy because of DS2's sensitivity, but doesn't understand things like not wanting to eat wheat and avoiding sugar. And she's not excited about me helping with the menu either.

I'm trying to come up with a good way to explain why our new eating habits are important and how I can be sensitive to her love of cooking but prevent (more) conflict during our visits, when she isn't interested in trying new recipes that fit our dietary requirements.

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Replies (31-38):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Our family get togethers are usually pot luck. For thanksgiving an whatnot everyone brings one or two dishes. My mom sets aside some potato salad for me before she adds mayo, and some mashed potatoes before she adds butter. Then I bring the stuff I want that I know I won't be able to eat if someone else makes it- pie. The pot luck style really works well for dietarily diversity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Maybe you could say your body doesn't tolerate it well? I mean honestly no one's body tolerates gluten or grains well it just deals with it and you don't realize it because you're used to always feeling that way. So it really isn't stretching the truth lol. Honestly, I never would have known that I'm gluten intolerant due to a possible genetic mutation (it's basically Celiacs) if I hadn't cut it out. I never knew that I felt badly because I can't handle it. Some people are just more sensitive to it but really no one processes it properly.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I think this is a big reason why our family isn't thrilled about changing up the menu!

Quoting CB3arr:

DH is gluten free.  So I'm mostly gluten free w/ him (I'll have whole wheat bread for sandwiches).  When traveling- He always packs some food.  If we are staying with family, we usually hit the grocery store the first day to buy him foods.  If we are going to a family meal- Thanksgiving or Christmas, we'll bring a dish that he can eat.  We make sure its substantial in case he can't have anything else.  He has full on celiacs disease, so every one is understanding.  For us its a have to, not a want to.  When people do the research and decide to give up certain foods (be it gluten or sugar) as a personal choice, other people don't "get it" and aren't so accommodating.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

This is a really great idea. That way, OP, if your mom is really connected to the recipes she made when you were growing up she can still eat them and serve them. And you can bring things to cook that you will eat. I bring our food everywhere we go. If we go to parties I bring the kids separate food unless they're having something that we can eat. A lot of people don't like changing what they cook for holidays etc because of the sentimental feelings surrounding it and it's hard for them to change. I do understand this because it has been really hard in that aspect giving up wheat. I think that has been the toughest thing to give up for me. I love all of the foods we eat during the fall and from scratch at home for the holidays. But in time she might learn to see that food doesn't equal happiness and the holidays can be just as nice with a larger variety of food. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Our family get togethers are usually pot luck. For thanksgiving an whatnot everyone brings one or two dishes. My mom sets aside some potato salad for me before she adds mayo, and some mashed potatoes before she adds butter. Then I bring the stuff I want that I know I won't be able to eat if someone else makes it- pie. The pot luck style really works well for dietarily diversity.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM

GAPS is a diet that heals your gut. It's for people who have GI issues, autism, ADHD, food allergies, leaky gut, etc etc etc. It is eating foods that help your gut heal for a certain amount in time in hopes that one day you can tolerate the foods that you couldn't tolerate before. That's probably not a good description of it but that's some of it lol

Quoting Sarah725:

Jill what is GAPS?

Quoting jconney80:

I'm sorry she's not supportive of your choices. This year will be interesting for us. We are going on GAPS. I will still allow food that we can't eat though for my guests

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I just provide food for DS and myself.  My immediate family understands why we eat the way we do and see the results in Travis.

alc4evermom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I went out west for Easter and took gluten digest which helped a little.  I only ask that I don't be fed peanuts because I really can't eat those---horrible things happen.  I am pregnant so its not safe for me to eat gluten at all, but not pregnant i can't be picky as a guest.  

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

It's great that they're supportive!

Quoting Juniper53098:

I just provide food for DS and myself.  My immediate family understands why we eat the way we do and see the results in Travis.

HelloSweetie
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I'm gluten free and try to stay Paleo- I eat what's "acceptable" and usually bring a couple dishes of my own. I can "cheat" with paleo, but not gluten, I'd be so sick.

If I were you, I'd make contact beforehand and explain the dietary changes and lightly explain why and discuss whats allowed and maybe start some recipe sharing and ask what you can bring to make things easier

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN