Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Postpartum exercises, stretches, and/or diet

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

I did a lot of things differently this pregnancy that I did not do in the past like drinking red raspberry tea, using raw vitamins, did spinning babies when my son was breeched, and did some other stretches and exercies as well that kept me feeling well throughout the pregnancy. This delivery also went great and I am feeling great at one week pp.  Now that I have delivered what are some things that are good to keep including in my diet that are good for pp? Maybe something that helps with the bleeding or just recooperation in general. Should I continue to drink the red raspberry tea? I know about a balanced diet and we eat well but is there something specific that is good to help moms recover from delivery? With my last I developed a terrible kidney infection about 6 weeks pp. I've heard cranberry juice is good for that. If so how much should I be drinking or is there something else that helps prevent kidney infection.  I found cranberry tea in the store but I do knot know anything about it. 

Also I am looking for exercies or stretches that are good for pp. I am not necessarily looking to lose weight yet and I know i have to wait a while before starting to exerciese a ton. I have heard it is good to conitnue kegals and to do pelvic tilts. Is there anything else I can do other than the typical walking and such?

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!), and M (8/20/13 9.10lbs also natural VBA2C!!)

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

YEs continue the tea.  Oatmeal is good for breastmilk supply.  Fiber so that you dont get backed up..that for some reason has been my big issue.  TONS of fluids..make sure you drink

Some people say kegals are bad, some say they are good, my midwife recommends them, I found the relieved pain for me.  Try hard not to verdo anything..just enjoy baby for now.  I am one month out and just now feel I could do more physically.

lifeforchrist
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

your body just went through a major ordeal. Whether you feel fine or not you should just rest. Many countries don't let women get up for a month. They have also made links between fertility problems and doing too much postpartum. I suggest looking at your baby and resting while you can. Avoid wheat and drink lots (wheat contributes to constipation)

I would not do kegels as research has shown it contributes to pelvic organ prolapse. If you're interested in the research search the whole woman solution.

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Keep going with the tea. It's great for overall health, enriching breastmilk, and helping your uterus heal.

I did belly binding a little - you can buy a commercial binder or just use some cloth or baby wrap that you already have. It works best immediately PP but a lot of cultures do it for the first several weeks PP. It feels really good and helps the diastasis muscle come back together.

Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Lose your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler is a great resource since most women have some amount of diastasis separation especially after several pregnancies.

And congrats on the vbacs!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I have that so I need to look into that book!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Lose your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler is a great resource since most women have some amount of diastasis separation especially after several pregnancies.

kspear0120
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

ty. yes im definitely trying not to over do it even though im feeling great. Those sound like good tips. We do already eat a ton of fiber thankfully. I do find it challenging to remember to drink but hubby is good at remiding me. I just learned so many new things this pregnancy and things went so well I thought I'd ask about after :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YEs continue the tea.  Oatmeal is good for breastmilk supply.  Fiber so that you dont get backed up..that for some reason has been my big issue.  TONS of fluids..make sure you drink

Some people say kegals are bad, some say they are good, my midwife recommends them, I found the relieved pain for me.  Try hard not to verdo anything..just enjoy baby for now.  I am one month out and just now feel I could do more physically.

kspear0120
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

ty I am definitely motly resting. I feel like I could resume things as normal but I know better :) plus hubby would freak if i tried to do to much. Like I said was just looking for little things that might help the recovery process since there were so many stretches and all that helped with the pregnancy that I didnt know about.

ty for the info in kegals I will look it up and also the wheat. I didn't know that though bms have been fine thus far.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

your body just went through a major ordeal. Whether you feel fine or not you should just rest. Many countries don't let women get up for a month. They have also made links between fertility problems and doing too much postpartum. I suggest looking at your baby and resting while you can. Avoid wheat and drink lots (wheat contributes to constipation)

I would not do kegels as research has shown it contributes to pelvic organ prolapse. If you're interested in the research search the whole woman solution.

kspear0120
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

thanks for the info! how much and how often should I continue the tea?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

kspear0120
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

anyone have any ideas about kidney infection prevention this time?

kspear0120
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM

and thanks for the congrats im so excited about them!

Quoting kspear0120:

thanks for the info! how much and how often should I continue the tea?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)