Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

first trimester screening

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 11 Replies

so I was just offered this by my midwife and its all new to me . I wasnt offered it last time I gave birth in 2010. My hubby heard her talking about it and wants to do it but I am kinda the deny all testing kind and I usually prefer one u/s and not more. Should I do it for him in a pick my battle kind of thing....I already have to fight him on vax and some other more important things. 

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The testing is just a blood test, it gives you an idea if further testing needs to be done or not, nothing huge.  I personally have no issues with testing done on ME without making me take anything or assaulting baby.

Basically it tells you whether you are at higher risks for downs syndrome and some other genetic issues.

I would pick yuor battles because its not HURTing baby to do the test...just you wtih a blood draw

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
If it'll be a battle and your fine with it then just have it done.
I only have the typical std screening and blood counts, then glucose and 20 week u/s for routine "testing"
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

It pretty much gives you a percentage of risk or suggestion of whether more invasive testing would be helpful, right? I've always declined it but it's one of those things that's not really invasive and maybe something not worth fighting over if you are having disagreements on bigger things, kwim?

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I thought an ultrascreen was also involved...thats what I took from it

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

well I talk to her tomorrow...if an ultrasound is invoved would that chnage your mind?...I dont care about the blood part. 

JMmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
My first trimester screening was a level 2 ultrasound and a blood test. I chose to have it done with my 5th and 6th pregnancy because my 4th pregnancy ended in a 2nd trimester miscarriage. The miscarriage really freaked me out and I had a lot of bleeding with my next baby so the screen relaxed me a lot that everything was okay. With my last baby, we found a chorio-plexus cyst on her brain at the 20 week u/s which is a soft market for trisomy 18. I was worried (the doctor and midwife were not) but knowing the first trimester screen came back normal and low risk for the trisomies helped me relax. She was born 3 weeks ago and does not have trisomy, btw. For me it was worth it.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Early ultrasounds are very risky and raise the risk for miscarriage there is NO need for one..at 20 weeks I can understand doing one to check everything but not before that

Quoting monalisasus:

well I talk to her tomorrow...if an ultrasound is invoved would that chnage your mind?...I dont care about the blood part. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I don't think there is an ultrasound involved.  Just beware I never did the testing because I heard there is a lot of false positives.  I didn't want to stress over something that wasn't even there.

Quoting monalisasus:

I thought an ultrascreen was also involved...thats what I took from it

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Yeah its the one jmmama said with level 2 ultrasound whatever that means.so im thinking no and false positives suck.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

There is absolutely NO reason for an US in the first trimester, everything isnt even all the way formed yet!  Thats crazy I would refuse

Quoting monalisasus:

Yeah its the one jmmama said with level 2 ultrasound whatever that means.so im thinking no and false positives suck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)