Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help please: I need natural treatments for PPD

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have PPD and I'm EBF my 4 month old DD. I want to go at this naturally, my doctor wants me on Zoloft, but I just don't feel comfortable with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

sunlight is a huuge help

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Bump!

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I am taking Zoloft and it has been a huge help to me!! I take 50 mg/day. I went from either crying or yelling to feeling like myself pretty quickly- I was at a point that I forgot how it felt to be happy.

Good luck whatever route you choose!! It's important to take care of yourself.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM

In the case of PPD it might be best to try the meds, PPD should not be taken lightly. Also natural sunlight, fresh air, walking, exercising, writing, almost anything can be used to help with depression. 

3kidz123
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Depends on how bad it is...

Do you have anxiety too or just saddness?

Have you have serious thoughts of hurting yourself or the baby?

Do you have a supportive SO, BF, DH?

Do you have family and or friend support?

Is this your first and if not did you have PPD before?

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have heard that DHA Omega 3 helps as well. I buy mine at the co op.

lilypad12788
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Anxiety too.

Not of hurting myself or the baby, but sometimes I think she'd be better off if I gave her away or left her with her dad and moved somewhere else.

My DH is completely supportive. He takes care of her mostly when he gets home from work. He understands what's going on, but he doesn't know how to help me.

My family is supportive, they want me to get help. My dr. wants me in meds, most if my family agrees that we should try natural solutions first before going on meds.

This is my first baby.

Quoting 3kidz123:

Depends on how bad it is...

Do you have anxiety too or just saddness?

Have you have serious thoughts of hurting yourself or the baby?

Do you have a supportive SO, BF, DH?

Do you have family and or friend support?

Is this your first and if not did you have PPD before?

l0v3ly
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I had pretty awful PPD with my first and depression during my second pregnancy. My OB wanted to put me right on Zoloft or Prozac without offering any other solutions (and I'm only mentioned that I was feeling a little "sad"). I switched to a midwife after that. She suggested Omega 3 vitamins with DHA and sunlight. Talk therapy, aroma therapy, yoga, meditation all are wonderful things to try before you jump right to the meds. Get out a little, go swimming, treat yourself to a treat... write your thoughts down in a journal. All of those things helped me immensely and I haven't struggled with it since.

Personally I'm really against the anti-depressants. I was put on Zoloft as a teen (horrible HORRIBLE decision my parents made and it made everything worse!) I don't think it's a "one size fits all" drug and honestly I think they can do more prolonged damage than good; creating dependencies and altering your body's natural endorphin receptors. Sure, depression can be due to chemical imbalances not just situational obstacles, but I feel very strongly that drugs can still be avoided completely and depression can be addressed with alternative solutions.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Vit D, sunlight, b vitamins helps with anxiety.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

oh un I am sorry. I feel ya. I was so down with mu first..this time I am eating my placenta becasue of it. I hope you find what works for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)