Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hips strengthening exercises

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
Anyone know any good hip strengthening exercises?
With my son my hips dislocated and turned so that the birth canal was blocked. I got several adjustments while I was iin labor but it only took about 20 min for my hip to move back. I still have issues with my hips over 2 years later.
I want to get pregnant again someday but I'm terrified to go through that again!
Anyone know of exercises to help?
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You may want to contact a physical therapist. Hope you can find something!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

That is usually an issue with ligaments and tendons I dont think theres much you can do to fix that..

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
As I dancer I have a few that come to mind that might help. When I'm home later tonight I can pm them to you if you would like. But I would also recommend a PT. They could be very beneficial.
Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I did pt after he was born cause I was in an accident (def didn't help!). But I don't have insurance :( I want a midwife and homebirth so I may not have insurance when I'm pregnant.

Quoting LaideBug:

As I dancer I have a few that come to mind that might help. When I'm home later tonight I can pm them to you if you would like. But I would also recommend a PT. They could be very beneficial.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Check in the healthy weight loss group, they may know of some. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I'd see a physical therapist!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM
bump
BeFit-Mom
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this

This type of injury is due to instability. The hormones of pregnancy loosened your ligaments too much, allowing joints that normally don't move, to move out of alignment.

To rehab this you need to do stability exercises. Never try to stretch this type of injury.

Start with basic bridging exercises, quadruped exercises, and planks . Also good would be side lying leg/foot circles (use top leg, small circles that are about 1' off the floor, make you sure pelvis doens't move, spine neutral.)

Squats should be OK too. You can try other exercises that require you to sabilize a neutral spine, like side or front flys too.

At the gym, you could walk at an incline on the treadmill, do stair stepper, and elliptical, these would build hip glute and thigh strength, which would help carry your through a subsequent pregnancy.

BeFit-Mom

Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Thank you so much!

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

This type of injury is due to instability. The hormones of pregnancy loosened your ligaments too much, allowing joints that normally don't move, to move out of alignment.

To rehab this you need to do stability exercises. Never try to stretch this type of injury.

Start with basic bridging exercises, quadruped exercises, and planks . Also good would be side lying leg/foot circles (use top leg, small circles that are about 1' off the floor, make you sure pelvis doens't move, spine neutral.)

Squats should be OK too. You can try other exercises that require you to sabilize a neutral spine, like side or front flys too.

At the gym, you could walk at an incline on the treadmill, do stair stepper, and elliptical, these would build hip glute and thigh strength, which would help carry your through a subsequent pregnancy.

BeFit-Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)