Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth diaper advice please

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

I looked into cloth diapers before, and felt a little overwhelmed. Now my first is about to be 2, my second is 4 months. I feel like a have a handle on life (as much as possible) and want to give cloth diapers a chance. I've already bought a couple pocket diapers (one size fits all) with inserts (some micro fiber and one hemp). I wanted some advice on what laundry detergent to use and should I use fabric softener and dryer sheets? Also, with these pocket diapers, is it acceptable to use the same diaper and just change the insert throughout the day (unless of course there leakage on the diaper)? Any advice on the subject is welcome.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I use Honest detergent I know many recommend Tide. Never use softener or dryer sheets it can make things none absorbent. Pockets need to be changed with every use. Good Luck!
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Pocket diapers have to be changed each time, pocket and all. If you want to change just the outer, look into all in 2, prefolds with covers, fitted with covers, and flats with covers. You could try laying the insert on top instead of stuffing the pockets but microfiber shouldn't come into contact with the skin. It causes rashes. Hemp is fine to be against skin.

No fabric softener or dryer sheets as they'll cause repelling. You can use vinegar as a fabric softener. I use it every 3rd or so load because it is so acidic.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I use tide free because we have hard water..I use it on everything just less with cloth diapers. NO fabric softener and no dryer sheets. Pocket diapers you must replace the whole diaper with each change.. hey have to pee and poop on the fabric on the inside thats against them so just switching the insert wont work
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Pocket diapers need to be changed everytime.

I liked the Flip system for getting started. Those covers can be re-used until they're soiled and they would fit both of your babies.

My favorite commercial detergents are bumgenius and rockin' green, but I use homemade now.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Detergent guide

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I love the Flip System. I use Method detergent for my dipers.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Pocket diapers need to be changed everytime.

I liked the Flip system for getting started. Those covers can be re-used until they're soiled and they would fit both of your babies.

My favorite commercial detergents are bumgenius and rockin' green, but I use homemade now.

danichaos
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I use soap nuts. Take my advice and skip the microfiber, it causes compression leaks like a sponge when you squishit. Please only use pocket diapers one time, if you want to use a wipe able cover over and over, you can do that and use a prefold or hemp/bamboo insert and just change that part.
Harleysmom213
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM

i'm using the pocket cloth diapers too. I keep using the same diaper for as long as it stays clean. for inserts i went to my local dollar store and just bought a bunch of hand towels. for detergent i use All Free and Clear. i've decided i'm sticking with my normal detergent, buy i don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets because they may irritate babies' sensitive skin.

that's what i do, but you do what you think is best! good luck and enjoy your little bundle!

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM
We use Tide. No softeners or dryer sheets. Get some dryer balls if you can. Theyre cloth safe and do the job of a dryer sheet.

You can't use the shell of a pocket over again.
JMmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I just got some dryer balls that are scented to use with my regular laundry. Can I use those with my diapers or should I take them out?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

We use Tide. No softeners or dryer sheets. Get some dryer balls if you can. Theyre cloth safe and do the job of a dryer sheet.

You can't use the shell of a pocket over again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)