Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Worsening Conjunctivits

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ellie (17mo) has what appears to be conjunctivitis (mild/mod swelling redness of conjuctiva, classic, yellow sticky discharge) When we first noticed it yesterday it was only a little discharge we immediately began putting a drop or two of freshly expressed breastmilk in both eyes. We did it like 5 times yesterday. This morning her eyes looked a little worse so we did it about every hour from 6a-8a but its definetly getting worse! Every time we wipe it away now there is more goop within a few minutes.

We sleep on one side of the pillow the first night, the second the second night and then replace and follow the same pattern until its gone, we use a clean tissue for each eye when wiping away the goop. We wash hands with soap and warm water every time we drop in the breastmilk in addition to using a non-alcohol hand sanitizer inbetween times. I am careful that the dropper doesn't come in contact with the eye at all. I have lysoled every surface she touches and common places(light switches, doornobs etc) at least once a day. I change my shirt about 3 times a day.

Why is it getting worse? None of our kids have had conjunctivitis prior to moving into the apartment in March. This is now our third round.

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
That supposed to say 6a-8p.
GoodyBrook
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Have you tried herbal eye washes?  Look into Horsetail (snakegrass), red clover, goldenseal, and eyebright to begin with...

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Is there a new allergen in your place? Old cat hair or new weeds or anything?
Is she running her eyes a lot after touching Lysol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danichaos
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I had pink eye once and got rid of it with BM. But I used more than a couple drops. Try upping the dosage sine one drop isn't helping
JMmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
That happened to me. About a year ago me and all the kids had it. I treated the kids successfully with breast milk and they cleared up quickly. My eyes just got worse and worse. I finally had to go to the ER because I was afraid if I waited I wouldn't be able to drive. I caved and just did the antibiotics. It was awful.
Jblb
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has also had this problem and I used BM and it became so bad, I too caved and used a cream. I was able to find a natural one that worked really well... Wish I could remember the name sorry
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I haven't. Didn't even know they existed! Thankyou

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Have you tried herbal eye washes?  Look into Horsetail (snakegrass), red clover, goldenseal, and eyebright to begin with...

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I've wondered? We try to keep it cleaned/dusted as much as possible.
I have only used the lysol since the conjunctivitis started and I do it while the kids aren't in the room. But i'll be extra cautious and watch her closely if I use it again.

Quoting jellyphish:

Is there a new allergen in your place? Old cat hair or new weeds or anything?

Is she running her eyes a lot after touching Lysol?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Generally if BM doesnt work its something that needs meds, you can try colloidal silver instead
jconney80
by Group Mod on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you can clear it up! I don't have any more suggestions than what was already given :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN