Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

staph & cloth diapers

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone dealt with staph? How did you clean your diapers?

DS1 has had it a couple of times now - it clears up when I put him in disposables for several days and apply tto and colloidal silver. I clean all the diapers with bleach and lay them in the sun for a day. We also use vinegar every couple of washes as part of our normal wash routine.

DS2 is also in cloth. They occasionally use the same fitted but otherwise each has their own inserts and covers. I wash all the diapers together, but so far DS2 has never had staph so I'm not sure if it's really in the diapers... but where else would it be coming from and why does DS1 get it every couple of months? Thoughts?

eta I just realized when my cycle comes back I'll wash my mama cloth with the diapers also... maybe I should do them seperately so I don't have to worry about getting staph myself?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrs.wilcox01
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Bump
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

bump

EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM
From the CDC website on how to prevent and contain staph:

"Drying clothes in a hot dryer, rather than air-drying, also helps kill bacteria in clothes. Use a dryer to dry clothes completely."

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/mrsa/
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I'm not sure but what kind is it? Is MRSA staph? I don't think you ever really get rid of that but I could be wrong. I've known people who get it continuously
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM
bump. what an interesting question.
Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I don't think it's MRSA. And maybe it's not even staph but it sure looks like it and matches the symptoms.

I was talking wtih someone else, we're speculating that it's not going away totally and living in his body and that's why he keeps having outbreaks - he may some kind of immune booster. Going to keep researching.

Quoting jconney80:

I'm not sure but what kind is it? Is MRSA staph? I don't think you ever really get rid of that but I could be wrong. I've known people who get it continuously

JackandJayne
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Some people are natural staph carriers and their staph flora will be higher than normal. This can be confirmed with a nasal swab. It's actually very common and will wax and wane through life. Diets high in probiotics can really fend it off just the same as too much candida/yeast. Sounds like you're doing an awesome job of fending it off and that's about all you can do. When it gets cooler, you can throw them in the dryer for an extra cycle on high heat.

If it starts hitting the family, unfortunately natural methods sometimes won't cut it, and a wash with hibiclens is due. (Of course ALWAYS seek out a physicians advice first)

Washing YOUR hands with hibiclens after changings would be safe now as long as you keep the bottle out of reach of little hands. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Yeah that's probably accurate. I hope you can finally get rid of it. 

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I don't think it's MRSA. And maybe it's not even staph but it sure looks like it and matches the symptoms.

I was talking wtih someone else, we're speculating that it's not going away totally and living in his body and that's why he keeps having outbreaks - he may some kind of immune booster. Going to keep researching.

Quoting jconney80:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Could you use bleach and then sun them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)