Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question for those who make water kefir

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
I made a batch of water kefir and then switched my grains over to make more.

I had the batch without the grains in a jar on the counter (finished kefir) and forgot to put it in the fridge. It has a lot more "stuff" floating around in the bottom and it's been out for two days. Can we still drink it or did it need to be refrigerated?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
bump
EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Taste it. If its very potent and sour you may want to dump it but if its still a little sweet and palatable I'd go ahead and drink up! You can suck down the new grain bits and all, its good for you :). I've left my strained kefir out for 3-4 days plenty of times and I still drink it.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

OK good! Thanks! I put it in the fridge in case it was still good. It just smells funny but so does the batch that I didn't leave out! I think I just need to get used to the smell haha

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Taste it. If its very potent and sour you may want to dump it but if its still a little sweet and palatable I'd go ahead and drink up! You can suck down the new grain bits and all, its good for you :). I've left my strained kefir out for 3-4 days plenty of times and I still drink it.

EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Yeah it tends to smell a bit like apple cider vinegar or beer or a weird mixture of both lol. You get used to it :)

Quoting jconney80:

OK good! Thanks! I put it in the fridge in case it was still good. It just smells funny but so does the batch that I didn't leave out! I think I just need to get used to the smell haha

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right! Lol!!

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Yeah it tends to smell a bit like apple cider vinegar or beer or a weird mixture of both lol. You get used to it :)

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)