Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Reducing scars?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
This might sound weird but my friend's son recently fell and hurt his forehead to the point of needing stitches. She was wondering if there is anything natural you can use to help reduce scarring. He has about a quarter size hole on his forehead. Sorry if that's gross but it's pretty big. Any oils or remedies?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Here's a pretty helpful article:

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Scarring
Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Coconut oil would be the least expensive and better than doing nothing, but I would probably make a blend of cocoa butter, coconut oil, tamanu oil, and/or macadamia nut oil.

Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Bio-Oil is a pretty good commericial product that can help too. It's been awhile since I read the package so I'm not sure how "natural" it is, but I have a few friends who have great results reducing stretch marks and c-section scars with it.

JackandJayne
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Copper peptides for atrophic scarring (indented). If anything is raised, place a silicone scar sheet on it. I would ask a physician if the copper peptide is safe first for a child (I'm sure it is, however you can't be too careful). But this stuff is GREAT if you catch a fresh scar in time. Kids have way better collagen formation than we do though. So she may want to let it heal completely first and then judge.

larissalarie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM
We just used coconut oil on my son's forehead after his stitches were out and you REALLY have to try to find the scar now. But he also got his stitches at a children's hospital and they did internal & external to close the wound tightly, so maybe that's why it healed so well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Thanks for all of the help! I'll pass the info on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I've never heard of it! I wish I had known about that before

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Bio-Oil is a pretty good commericial product that can help too. It's been awhile since I read the package so I'm not sure how "natural" it is, but I have a few friends who have great results reducing stretch marks and c-section scars with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Coconut oil has helped my stretch marks a lot. Bio oil helps too, but I like coconut oil better.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Thank you!

Quoting justone_jen:

Coconut oil has helped my stretch marks a lot. Bio oil helps too, but I like coconut oil better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN