Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I give my baby a pacifier?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 16 Replies
Lately my 2 month old has been sucking on his hands a lot, even after he's done with a feeding so I know it's not a hunger cue (I've offered it to him again, to see if he was still hungry and he'll just gag and throw up, or unlatch, latch back on, unlatch, latch back on...), he just wants something to suck on. I decided earlier that I didn't want to give him a pacifier because lactation consultants are against it, I don't want to have to deal with taking it away later, and if he wants to comfort nurse, ill just let him do that, but it seems like if I do that he throws up because his tummy is too full. Should I just let him have a pacifier?
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I was happy my dd found her thumb ;) so Im not sure what you should do, but here is a bump

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
If he's happy with his hand, I'd let him have that. I'd be uncomfortable with a thumb sucker though. My second babe was an oral baby and needed a paci, I was also apprehensive about it but she HAD to have it. One day at ten months she put it down and never wanted it again, so it doesn't always have to be a battle to break the habit. I'm willing to bet nursing on demand will make it easy to break the habit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Yeah it's just his hand right now, but the only reason it makes me uncomfortable is I can take a pacifier away later but if he continues to suck on his hand into toddlerhood it's going to be harder to break that habit. I'm nursing on demand right now and plan on continuing to do that until he weans himself.

Quoting jellyphish:

If he's happy with his hand, I'd let him have that. I'd be uncomfortable with a thumb sucker though. My second babe was an oral baby and needed a paci, I was also apprehensive about it but she HAD to have it. One day at ten months she put it down and never wanted it again, so it doesn't always have to be a battle to break the habit. I'm willing to bet nursing on demand will make it easy to break the habit.

ADHDmommyandson
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

i used teething rings :) 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I was just speaking to a nurse yesterday in the grocery store line.  She saw my son busily sucking away on his pacifier and said that worked at a pediatric Dentist Office for years and that their worst cases were from thumb suckers.  I was surprised, but she said that a pacifier is much kinder to the growing jaw than a thumb, especially those rated by an orthodontic association on the packaging.

Might your LO be teething?

BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:45 AM
I didn't even consider that, he's so young! But I suppose it's possible, how would I know if he was?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I was just speaking to a nurse yesterday in the grocery store line.  She saw my son busily sucking away on his pacifier and said that worked at a pediatric Dentist Office for years and that their worst cases were from thumb suckers.  I was surprised, but she said that a pacifier is much kinder to the growing jaw than a thumb, especially those rated by an orthodontic association on the packaging.

Might your LO be teething?

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM
We love pacifiers and don't have any issue with their continued use into toddlerhood.
some babies are more oral and benefit from the use of a binky.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Dd was given a pacifier at 2 days old and completely weaned herself from it by 14 months old. We never had any issues caused by it, so I have nothing against them. You can try to introduce one, and if you notice any negative changes with nursing (bad latch, not wanting to nurse as much, refusing to nurse), then I would take it away. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You could try, my babies never took one.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM
My ds never used a binky he just used me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)