Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural Rubber Pacifier

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have a baby with a very strong need to suck.  She is three months, ebf (getting one bottle a day now), and otherwise hasn't had a pacifier at all.  My major problem is that she does not travel well, and it can sometimes take me an hour to travel a few miles.  She does not enjoy the car at all, and occasionally will sleep in there (if i'm lucky enough to buckle her in while she is sleeping to start), but once she's awake it's awful.  She's very quick to move past a disgruntled cry to hysterical choking (such a dramatic little girl).  I do my best to pull over before we get to that stage, but sometimes it's just not an option and if we get to that point it takes forever to get her calmed down and even more likely that she will pitch a fit within minutes of getting back on our way.  I've decided that even though I really wanted to avoid it, I'm going to try a pacifier for traveling. 

I've researched just a little and determined that natural rubber is the best way to go, but there are more options than i thought out there.  Has anyone had any experience with Natursutten, The Ummy, Ecopiggy, or Hevea?  Did you prefer one over the other?  Not sure this will even work, but I feel like it's worth a shot. 

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booboobear12
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I've tried fancy stuff my kids didn't like but did like nuk or avent.
Some kids get tummy aches in the car maybe she's car sick on long rides 20 minute + rides.
EarthMamaMaggie
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

My little guy was that bad in the car at three months too. He's almost eight months now and has gotten better but still doesn't like it. He doesn't like being by himself in general so I think he just gets lonely and scared back there. I haven't tried any of the pacifiers you mentioned but I will say that every baby is different and what style one loves another rejects so I would try a couple and see which one she takes more readily. On a side note be prepared that even if she takes the paci it may not solve the car fussiness. When my LO went through that stage he just spit the paci out in the middle of the car ride when he decided he had enough and started going off like a siren again.

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Unfortunately, I rarely make it past our community entrance before she starts with the crying.  We keep trips as short as possible, it's definitely not a tummy issue. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I just want to put the most natural material in her mouth if I have to do something synthetic.  Natural rubber seems to be the best choice based on what I have read, that's why I am trying one of these. 

Quoting booboobear12:

I've tried fancy stuff my kids didn't like but did like nuk or avent.
Some kids get tummy aches in the car maybe she's car sick on long rides 20 minute + rides.

booboobear12
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Wish u the best of luck.
Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I guess I am hoping that this is related to her strong need to suck.  I know that she's slightly more agreeable when someone is in the back seat with her, but truly even that doesn't extend much extra peace.  I was figuring that I would try two different brands but I wasn't sure if someone had feedback on quality or design...I've read about solid piece construction versus multiple pieces...?  I know there's definitely a chance that this won't do anything to help, but for $20 i figured it's worth a shot.  I get really overwhelmed on days that we have to travel, so much that it affects me for the rest of the day and sometimes into the next day...

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

My little guy was that bad in the car at three months too. He's almost eight months now and has gotten better but still doesn't like it. He doesn't like being by himself in general so I think he just gets lonely and scared back there. I haven't tried any of the pacifiers you mentioned but I will say that every baby is different and what style one loves another rejects so I would try a couple and see which one she takes more readily. On a side note be prepared that even if she takes the paci it may not solve the car fussiness. When my LO went through that stage he just spit the paci out in the middle of the car ride when he decided he had enough and started going off like a siren again.

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Thank you So Much!
Quoting booboobear12:

Wish u the best of luck.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM

One of us rode in the back with our first child until he was over a year old...  He's the BEST traveller now!!!  (But he still get's a pacifier when he's in the car-seat...for everyone's benefit!)

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
We love binkys in the car!!!! :)
I have no experience with natural rubber but understand your stance on it. I would buy one that you think she would most easily take. If she doesn't try the next kind.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

That's hard, good luck!

larissalarie
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Not being a jackass, but how the heck can rubber be "natural"? Is it just a marketing thing to charge more?

Anyway, since they're $20(?!) a piece, maybe buy a few types of normal inexpensive pacifiers from Target and see what, if anything, she'll take. Then when you determine what shape works for her you can look and see what natural rubber brand is shaped like that and purchase it for long term use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)