Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Third Baby...really want natural birth this time

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hi All! I'm new here. I am 38 weeks pregnant with my third child. I was induced at 38 weeks with my first because of my weight and OB was scared I or baby would be in distress and have complications. Luckily, labor went well and my daughter was born without any complications. I did get an epidural though. (12 hour labor) I was induced again with my 2nd at 36 weeks because he was in distress. I made it all the way to 8 cm dilation and then the nurse scared me about how much more painful it would get and I got an epidural...which didn't really take effect since my son was born 5 minutes later.(4 hours total labor) Now I am expecting my third and I do NOT want to be induced and I would like to have a drug free delivery. I have no idea what natural birth looks or feels like, when I am actually going into labor or anything of the sort. It sort of feels like I'm a first time mom. I would like to labor at home as long as possible so I won't feel the pressure of nurses or doctors telling me I need this drug or that drug. If I can get there close to delivery, that would be great. Any advice or help??
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Dont agree to an induction unless there is a medical reason

Stay home as long as you can.

Hire a doula

Stay mobile and listen to your body

Stay hydrated and eat during labor.

LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Thank you!

I told my OB i didn't want an induction unless absolutely necessary and she hasn't even brough it up.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to hire a doula.  My DH will be there and he is in 100% support and says he will be my buffer with nurses if he has to.

How do you know when it's time to go to the hospital??  I was only in labor with my son 4 hours and I didn't really feel that much pain until he dropped and then he was born 5 mins later. 

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM
My 3rd was my first natural birth. My first 2 were epi hospital births, my last 2 were both homebirths. I was terrified at first but I really wanted it. I studied Hypnobabies starting at 7 mo to prepare. Google it. It was amazing!! Intense but not scary. If you decide to have a hospital birth I would recommend having a midwife instead of a OB and hiring a doula.

Have you watched Business of being born or more business of being born?? Check them out. Last I looked they are both on Netflix. They will help you understand how to get your best birth.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Since you're nervous, I'd go there as soon as either your contractions start or your water breaks, whichever comes first. You could always walk around the parking lot for a while before you go in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes you can find a doula in training that will do your birth for free or reduced rate to get her hours for certification.
LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I actually did watch both of those documentaries.  I loved them.  I applaud any woman who chooses to have a home birth, it's just not for me.  I really feel safer in a hospital and with an OB.  I know.....

I just want to know how to combat that pressure by the nurses of getting an epi or cervadil (sp?), etc.  I don't want any of that stuff and I know if I can get to the hospital already in full labor and dilating, they won't push it so much.

I suppose I just have to learn to listen to my body.  I read a quote the other day from a doula and it was so true, "Women today have no idea what labor really feels like."  It's so true.  This is my third and I feel completely lost!

Quoting Lynette:

My 3rd was my first natural birth. My first 2 were epi hospital births, my last 2 were both homebirths. I was terrified at first but I really wanted it. I studied Hypnobabies starting at 7 mo to prepare. Google it. It was amazing!! Intense but not scary. If you decide to have a hospital birth I would recommend having a midwife instead of a OB and hiring a doula.

Have you watched Business of being born or more business of being born?? Check them out. Last I looked they are both on Netflix. They will help you understand how to get your best birth.

LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
This is a great idea! I will definitely do this. Thank you!
Quoting polkaspots:

Since you're nervous, I'd go there as soon as either your contractions start or your water breaks, whichever comes first. You could always walk around the parking lot for a while before you go in.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
We're going through similar issues with not wanting to labor in the hospital. For some reason everyone wants to shove their fingers up there and I'm not cool with that. I told my husband I wasn't walking into the hospital until I was ready to. His thing is he absolutely refuses to have a home birth so our compromise is we leave and then wait so there's no risk of baby being born in transit. I had my doctors leave me during both of my deliveries because I wasn't pushing when they told me to. My first took about a half hour to come out, but that was two hours after they started telling me to push silly doctors.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
There are student doulas that may do.it for cheap or free (can aks around maybe)

It all depends on how far the hospital is. If you were induced i wouldnt rely on how long yout labors were to go in. Generally you want to be atleast in active labor. Meaning, they are atleast 1 min long, 4 mins between them, they are getting intense and you need to stop between contractions. Transition is usually the point where you say " i cant do this anymore"
A doula would be able to help you know when to go to the hospital.
GL!

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Thank you!

I told my OB i didn't want an induction unless absolutely necessary and she hasn't even brough it up.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to hire a doula.  My DH will be there and he is in 100% support and says he will be my buffer with nurses if he has to.

How do you know when it's time to go to the hospital??  I was only in labor with my son 4 hours and I didn't really feel that much pain until he dropped and then he was born 5 mins later. 

LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I am not brave enough to do a home birth. I do feel more comfortable in a hospital. The good thing about the hospital I go to is that they don't check your cervix all the time. Last time they only checked me once and that's because I requested it. What they do is scare you into getting the epidural. I don't know why.... Thanks again for the advice. I think it'll be a good way to go.
Quoting polkaspots:

We're going through similar issues with not wanting to labor in the hospital. For some reason everyone wants to shove their fingers up there and I'm not cool with that. I told my husband I wasn't walking into the hospital until I was ready to. His thing is he absolutely refuses to have a home birth so our compromise is we leave and then wait so there's no risk of baby being born in transit. I had my doctors leave me during both of my deliveries because I wasn't pushing when they told me to. My first took about a half hour to come out, but that was two hours after they started telling me to push silly doctors.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting polkaspots:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN